1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would this be cruel?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CrazyChickensEverwhere, Jun 6, 2011.

1. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Hi. I want to breed polish but I dont have a seperate pen. I have a EE rooster and mixs in a flock. If I wanted to breed polish in there I would have to take out the EE and put a polish in the pen to know the polish eggs are purbred polish. Well I was thinking I would have to have a The EE boy in a pen by himself, is that mean?

2. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    ?

3. TheMainException

TheMainException Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    If the pen were nearby so he could be close to them it might not be so bad and if you were going to put them all back together after a while, then I wouldn't think it would be too rough on him, but it can somewhat mess up the pecking order to bring them together...and if you never did put him back in the same pen, I would start to wonder why you are keeping him in the first place.

4. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    I wouldent put him back in because I won't want him sperming the polish hens. I am keeping him because hes a nice boy. And I like him.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  5. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    Well I guess i'll have to find away then.

6. txhomegrown

txhomegrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Como, TX
    Quote:You said you didn't have a pen to put the polish in, but you have a pen to put the EE in??? Why not put the polish in THAT pen?

7. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    Because its big enough for 1 chicken. BUT not for 10.

8. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    I talked with my dad and we are residing the house, and the old wood we might re-use the "better" stuff, and make a 6x6x6 foot chicken house for 10 chickens.

9. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Pick your best hens say the top half. Put them with the polish roo. Then have them lay for several days, and hatch out those eggs.

Put the others with the EE and eat those eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by