Would this be ok for a quail pen?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by holachicka, May 12, 2010.

1. holachicka

holachicka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    Hi all, I haven't gotten my coturnix eggs for hatching yet, and am dying with impatience!!! [​IMG] Anyhoo, I'm building my quail pen and was planning on making it 3'x7' and 15" tall. I plan on making 3 of these, to stack above eachother with a 6 inch space between each cage for room for a drop board. I planned on using plywood for the back and sides, and wire mesh for the fronts, doors and floors. Is this ok? Is the height of the cages too short? I read that too high is not good, but didn't want to cramp them either... I'd love any suggestions!

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    They Sound Fine To Me. Infact While Your At It Make A Few Extras And Call Me When They're Done... :d

3. holachicka

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    [​IMG] Sure thing! Thanks!

4. underground chickenman

underground chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    Quote:JJMR, you don't think 15" is too tall? I am getting ready to build mine and I have been thinking about keeping the height to about 10 inches based on what I have read about flushing and broken necks. Since you are in the business, have you had any trouble with cages that high? What would say is the ideal height?

Thanks,

UGCM

5. holachicka

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    Hrrrmmm.... If I could get away with making the cages shorter, I could add an extra cage... and that means MORE QUAIL!!!!! [​IMG] I'm sick I tell you, SICK! But seriously, what is a good height? [​IMG]

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Anything 18 Inches Or Less Should Do Fine For Coturnix. It Only Has To Be Tall Enough For Them To Stand Upright, So 10 Inches Would Do---- But Ugcm Remember We're In Florida--- It Gets Mighty Hot And Swelteringly Humid Here And That Will Affect Your Birds--- A Lil Taller With Lotsa Air Flow For Us Crackers [​IMG] At 18 Inches They Should Have Enough Air Circulation Room And Not Enough Launch Room To Do Much Damage.... In Fact I Have Never Had 1 With A Broken Neck And Many Of My Pens Are Taller Than 18 Inches---- But I Have A Habit Of Leaving Pens With A Large Airgap At The Top To Help With Circulation--- Because Of This I String Chicken Wire Over The Top Of The Cage To Prevent Escape, But Under The Roofing--- So It Acts Kinda Like An Arrestor Cable On A Aircraft Carrier--- Slows Them Down And Plops Them Back On The Floor Of The Pen Before They Can Hit Anything Solid--- Worst I Get Is An Occaisional Skinned Head/ Neck Which They Usually Recover From With Ease.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    All my coturnix have cages that are at least 2' tall, they don't fly up as much as other gamebirds do. 12" is more than enough room if you have space issues, but higher won't bother them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by