Would this be ok to use as a feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GossipGirlLover, Aug 21, 2011.

1. GossipGirlLover

GossipGirlLover New Egg

Aug 21, 2011
    Hi everybody. I am new to raising chickens plus this is my first post so please excuse my ignorance.

My family and I are looking into raising a couple (3 to 4) chickens in these bad economic times for the eggs and fun for the kids and I am still in the research phase if you will.

Anyways an ad on our local craigslist just showed up as stating feed for sale for various farm animals including chickens and I was hoping someone could tell me if this is ok to feed chickens or to stay away? The price seems to good to be true. Thank you everybody

4 pallets (approximately 240 bags, 25 pounds each bag, totaling about 6000 pounds) of Animal Nutrition Protein Fiber Enhanced Medicated Feed. This product is given to animals in laboratory set up. Great for Cows, Horses, Rabbits, Pigs, Rodents, Deers, Monkeys, Hogs, Chickens, Goats, Bears etc.
    This product sell for $25-$40 per bag on the net. YOURS FOR for $4.00 per bag.
    Crude protein 18%
    Crude fat 4%
    Crude fiber 5%
    ACTIVE DRUG fenbendazole 150ppm

WILL SPLIT INTO SMALLER BATCHES BUT NO LESS THAN 50 BAGS ($4.00 PER BAG).

From Google search
    http://www.harlan.com/products_and_...1_open_formula_mouse_rat_sterilizable_7017.hl

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I think it will get eaten by weevils and other pests before your 4 hens can eat 1,250 pounds of it. Have no idea what the fenbendazole is or will do to a chicken.

Since this is your first post I hope you aren't just spamming us with an ad.

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I wouldnt feed it to my chickens.Its medicated not sure what kind that is, but I wouldnt want my chickens eating it then eat the eggs. Besides I dont want mine eating anything that was made for lab rats.Just looked it up. Its a wormer. You definatley dont want to feed it to them then eat the eggs

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  4. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Ooh, I wouldn't feed this to chickens.. I don't know what the fenbendazole is. [​IMG]

5. GossipGirlLover

GossipGirlLover New Egg

Aug 21, 2011
    Thank you for the response.

I assure you this is not a spam or ad. I made sure to remove any links or contact info to the actual CL ad so no one would think this.

How many pounds of feed would 3 or 4 chickens use in say a year.

Thank you again for the response. I look forward to others insight on this. I am still reading all I can about raising chickens since I was raised in the city but now live in the rural suburbs that recently pass law that chickens are ok to raise.

Kelly

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Ok I have 39 chickens and 5 ducks. I go through about 50 lbs of feed every two weeks they also get treats and some of the food is wasted that they kick out. So thats 2600 lbs of feed a year give or take. 3 or 4 chickens would be waaaay less. I would say a 50lb bag would last at the very least a month or more.

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Febendazole is a type of dewormer.

8. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Quote:x2---not made for chickens--for rodents, that's not good...and even if it was--it would go bad way before you could use it all...or something else would get to it...I say pass..not worth the chance...

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    It says that it's a complete diet for rodents.

What kinda feed is that?

10. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    I would stick with chicken feed; it's formulated to be a balanced diet for chickens. They eat about a pound of feed a week per chicken. That's an estimate. If anyone has an exact figure, please feel free to clarify. May the flock be with you, and welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by