Would this be possible??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Morgan7782, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Just realized that I have a darn near unlimited supply of wood pallets (FREE) from my brother and his work! DUH! I was thinking I would be spending over a grand on a shed to convert to a coop, but now maybe there is another way!!

My question: Would it be possible to build a 8x6 ft coop out of pallet wood? Except probably roof (any idea's do share). Thanks!

2. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    I don't see why not~~I've built lots of things from used pallets.
    Just be sure that the pallets weren't used for any type of hazardous material storage.

Good luck & happy building

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I will ask my brother what they were used for, I think it was boxes of nails or something. They build metal.. Things. ::shrugs:: Not sure what exactly lol but I will ask!

I have done a search on pallet coops but so far have only found smaller coops. I would one at least 6x8. I am so excited and thrilled to find a way to do this for cheaper because I am pretty broke right now lol aren't we all?? My chickens will be so happy to have a big coop!

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    If you bought the framing materials and used the pallet boards for everything else it might be worth the trouble of pulling them apart for such a large coop. The framing part might be tough using pallets.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  5. CT_Todd

CT_Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Hebron, CT
  6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    What sort of framing would be required? Would a wood frame be too flimsy? Any framing idea's would be wonderful! I don't mind doing the work, especially since it's a definate need. I have 5 hens sharing two coops at the moment [​IMG] this chicken addiction thing is AWFUL! lol!

So any frame idea's would be great! And any other input regarding large pallet coops.

7. Chebidiah Chickens

Chebidiah Chickens New Egg

May 18, 2010
    Blackstone Valley
  8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:THAT is a great site! Thank you! [​IMG]

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

look through all the recent threatds in this forum(last couple days)... I just saw one that someone was building using pallets and it was pretty big and awesome. i will try to find it too....

10. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:WOW! I clearly have not been thinking out of the box on this one. I bookmarked that site. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by