1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would this grit be okay?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wordgirl, May 1, 2009.

1. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    I saw a few days ago that our Wal•mart carries Hartz Gravel 'n Grit, for pet birds. Would this be okay to give our chicks when we start giving them treats and letting them peck out in the backyard? Or is normal chicken grit small enough for chicks?

Thanks!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    That would be fine. It was my chicks first grit. Just read the box carefully and make sure it's not the calcium fortified kind, as Hartz makes both types.

3. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

I buy grit at a feed store. It comes in two sizes. Chick size and Chicken size. It runs about $7.50 for a 50 pound bag.

The local farm store sells a 5 pound bag for $6.00

HTH

4. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Oh, good! Thank you! [​IMG]

5. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Quote:Oh – I guess I didn't realize that it might come in chick size! Maybe Fleet Farm carries it. Thanks!

6. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    My box of pet bird grit didnt' say calcium fortified on it but the fine print did say it had oyster shell in it, so I tossed it out

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Tractor Supply Co. sells chick grit.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  8. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    Quote:I have given grit and it has oyster shell in it!! Are they going to be ok? I didn't realize it was bad. They are 3 weeks old

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I have given grit and it has oyster shell in it!! Are they going to be ok? I didn't realize it was bad. They are 3 weeks old

They'll be okay, just don't give them anymore of it. Find chick grit or the parakeet grit with no added calcium.
    Actually after I used up the one box I bought, I just started scooping them up clumps of dirt/rocks mixed. They picked out the grit.

10. NitaAZ

NitaAZ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    None of the 4 feed stores in this area have chick grit. They told me they've never heard of such a thing and have raised chicks for years without it. The only pet store in town only has parakeet grit with oyster shell, as does Walmart. No other choices around here!

So is sand a good alternative?

Nita

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by