1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would this harm the hatching chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stone_family3, Mar 11, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    If I laid a wet washcloth down on the shelf and set the eggs on them?

2. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    the only problem i can see with that is that they wouldnt dry out very well, and/or it could boost the humidity way too high....cuz humidity is based on surface area and i would think that a wash cloth would have loads of surface area. and also, how long would you want the washcloth to hold the moisture? the duration of lockdown? cuz i would think it would dry out by then. unless you can add more water to it from a hole in the top of your bator.

3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I haven't given it that much thought honestly. I only have 18 eggs that need to hatch, hopefully it will be quick hatch.

4. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Usually when I add a wash cloth it is a last resort to bringing up the humidity, it will, but don't soak it.

I usually can get my cooler incubator up to 80% humidity when I add a warm damp wash cloth.

I usually don't put an egg on it, unless I have had to help the chick inside of it, because it has gotten shrink wrapped in the egg.

In the case of shrink wrapping, I start zipping the shell myself, and I get a bowl of warm water and a Q-tip, and I dip the Q-tip in the warm water and wet the membrane, but I don't get the chicks beak wet, I don't want to drown the chick.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  5. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Okay thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by