would this idea work

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pax12, Feb 8, 2009.

1. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    would this idea work for chickens having the first 12 days the humidity is at 80% and the last 9 day 0% humidity

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

It may but thats sorta backwards to whats the norm. If you swapped them around I think you would have better results.

3. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    Not with a good hatch they need the humidity to aid in hatching I use a spray bottle to lightly spray a mist on the eggs during the hatch. I have found this has helped the hatch rate.

4. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Quote:Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the water/humidity needed to soften the shells for hatching?

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    no, eggs NEED to lose moisture. Besides, I don't think there is any chance you can get a 0% humidity to even try. I can't remember the website, but there is one that tell you all the problems if your humidity is too high and 80% is too high.

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the water/humidity needed to soften the shells for hatching?

the eggs don't soften, the membrane does.
    I don't put any water while incubating, and only a small container on the last 3 days and haven't had any problems. My problems were caused by too much humidity

7. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.

the eggs don't soften, the membrane does.
    I don't put any water while incubating, and only a small container on the last 3 days and haven't had any problems. My problems were caused by too much humidity

I was just curious as some eggs seem to have harder shells then others! I am watching this thread before I try another hatch! [​IMG]

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

If the egg does not dry out enough the chick drowns when he starts to try an breath. If it drys out to much the chick sticks to the shell an cant hatch.

The standard 40% 60% hatch system is an attempt to get the eggs dried out just enough.

The "Dry" method -30% then +70% dries the egg out all the way then attempts to add just enough moisture by hatch time.

Your mileage may very!

9. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    I wonder if I can ever get it all right! [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

What works for me, here at the top of N. GA at 2000 ft elevation in the mtns is to keep it from 40-50% the first 18 days, then 65-70% from Day 18-hatch. If it goes up to 52%, I dont sweat it because it will naturally begin to go down soon. IF it goes to 30%, I dont panic, just add some water.
    A range is fine, not specific numbers. If you try to make a game of keeping it as close as possible to 50% the first 18 days, then raise it over 60% but below 70% the last three, you'll probably be fine. The effort it takes to do that in a low humidity environment will be more, though. Im on Day 4 here and the outside humidity has been very low for Ga, about 15-20%, and created a challenge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by