Would this incubator idea work?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Annie44, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Annie44

Annie44 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Hello everybody!

I just had an idea for an incubator design. So, instead of heating the entire box, you would have a bag full of beans or water or something. The bag would be heated and it would simulate a mother hen sitting on the eggs. To turn or inspect the eggs, you would just lift the bag off the eggs for a short while—the mama hen went to get something to eat. [​IMG]

When the eggs hatch, the source of heat for the chicks would still be the 'mother hen'. When the chicks get cold, they could wiggle under the bag, when they're ready to play, they go out.

So, how do you think this would work? What modifications would you give it? I've never hatched my own eggs before I just thought this could be a cool idea.

Thanks for any input! [​IMG]

~Annie

2. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Water or whatever would settle down around/over the eggs cutting off ventilation. You would still need a reliable/controllable heat source Any chick that might hatch & I have my doubts, would not be strong enough to "wiggle" out or under to get warm- JMHO, BUT, prove me wrong

Let me take this a step further, remember, this is just my opinion.
    First off, the use of Beans -- Heat transfer between the beans would be restricted unless each one touched one another (no problem) the air space between beans would act as insulators creating a uneven heating situation. It would be hotter at the heat source cooling the further you got away form that heat source.
    Water: First off how would you het the water. Water & electricity do not mix. So you would have to go to something like what they use in a fish tank, but you cannot submerge them either. If you were able to find something that would heat the water, it too would have a hot spot at the heat source, so you would need something to circulate the water to get an even heating. Water weights 8 LBS per gallon, pretty heavy to be setting solidly on some eggs

SOOOO-- figure out how you would solve these issues & let me know It is a cool idea, just have to work out the details.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  3. Annie44

Annie44 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Very true! Thanks for such a thorough answer. [​IMG] Maybe one could use some sort of loose electric blanket as the fabric for the bag? It could be filled with styrofoam beads. Maybe a fan blowing warm air on the eggs for ventilation... Hmmm... just a thought.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by