1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

would this make.me a bad person?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SpiderSilk, Aug 12, 2014.

1. SpiderSilk

SpiderSilk Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    Alabama
    We have a pair of welsh Harlequins I am having a hard time finding more hens around the same age. I was.looking at getting another breed of duck to put with our current ones. We are not trying to breed them however I know it is possible with them all housed together. We would just like more eggs

2. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    If I read correctly you want to get another breed to live with you WH. I have all kinds of breeds housed together. I let them breed if they want. Imho that does not make you a bad person. Mixed ducks are just as cute and fun!

3. SpiderSilk

Jun 25, 2014
    Alabama
    I agree mixed are awesome but with the status of the welsh I guess I just feel I am not being a good steward to the breed

4. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I see nothing wrong with it. I have 2 WH ducks in my mix. If you want you could separate the WH and breed them for some ducklings then keep the rest for eggs to eat.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  5. SpiderSilk

Jun 25, 2014
    Alabama
    Good idea. Thanks I guess I just needed someone else to say it not a bad thing :)

6. Eluria

Eluria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    I think it's fine, but I'm also kind of a "do what works for your family" person. I ordered 2 WH, a Cayuga and Blue Swedish who will live together. They aren't going to breed because they will be all girls, so I suppose that technically I am "ending" the genetic line of my Welshies. There are people who are dedicated to breeding show-quality birds, just like there are people who are dedicated to doing the same for dogs and cats, but I don't think everyone has to dedicate themselves to that. Purebred animals can be great, but I love my mongrel kitties and my pugadoodle, and there is something to be said for hybrid vigor and widening the gene pool as well, especially if it's just for the enjoyment of your family. So no guilt :)

7. willowbirdks

willowbirdks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2014
    I understand where you are coming from... I really wanted to stick with Anconas when I first got ducks this spring. They are not a really common breed, and while I don't intend to breed for show, I'd still like to have kept to just that breed if possible.

But it just hasn't worked out. I had a bad ratio of males to females, and nobody seems to have Ancona hens available. What I was able to find were some free ducklings from a friend we know, and that gives me the chance for a few more girls. I took them, because I know having a few more birds with a better ratio will give all my birds a better quality of life. I think that matters more for me with a small flock of ducks, that they are happy.

And like another person said, I intend to separate out my Ancona hen with an Ancona drake in the event I do decide to breed them. Easy enough to do, and you might find the same when you do decide it's time to hatch WH babies.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am happy you are taking good care of your WH female by getting others. Ditto what has already been said - things don't always sort out perfectly, I am happy you are concerned about helping the breed and there is no harm in wanting eggs.

9. Alice28

Alice28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2014
    We have two anconas and a Muscovy. They all get along great. We were going to get three anconas, when they hatched and we went to get them there was only two and then there was a Muscovy that had been there five days :( they told us if we wanted her we could have her. Couldn't leave her. They told us we could wait for the next hatch of anconas, but we just decided to go with these three. Best choice ever! So happy with them all. They were vent sexed and looks like all girls, but we will know when eggs come.[​IMG]

10. SpiderSilk

Jun 25, 2014
    Alabama
    That is what happene to us!! We wanted three one drake and two or three hens. Well only two hatched. So frustrating. I am looking at getting anaconas I love there look!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by