Would this work for a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ccrichard, Jul 4, 2010.

1. ccrichard

ccrichard Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Loxahatchee, FL
    I have been searching Craigslist looking for something I could use for a coop. I saw this ad this morning and was wondering what your thoughts would be on using this for a coop.

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/bab/1814428588.html

Thanks for you comments and suggestions.

2. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    That would make a great coop but it may be a little cheaper to purchase a coop made specifically for chickens. [​IMG]

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Offer them $300-$500 if they will deliver it to you. Betcha they'll take it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  4. ccrichard

Jun 2, 2010
    Loxahatchee, FL
    Crazy choke - This is the one that I have been looking at http://www.horizonstructures.com/Details.asp?List=1&Product=6 and it starts at $2,495.00 delivered. That's why I thought this might work and then add the "chicken modifications" of course the carpet would have to go lol. I am in South Florida and am concerned about having a structure that could handle high winds.

5. joebryant

Quote:I did a map search to see where Loxahatchee, FL, is. You don't need all that. Your chickens will be better off with a more open coop inside a large,well-built RUN with a sand floor and completely enclosed with 1/2-inch hardware cloth.

ETA Put in the shade of a tree if you have one; otherwise, make some by placing a large tarp over a section of the run.

6. ccrichard

Jun 2, 2010
    Loxahatchee, FL
    Thanks joebryant - they are currently housed in a completely open coop with hardware cloth all around no run as they free range all day. It has a roof that protects from the rain and a dogloo to hide in if it gets too stormy. Maybe I should just try to find someone to expand the current coop to accommodate about 15 chickens?

7. joebryant

Quote:Yep, y'all Rebels are luckier'n than us Yankees with cold, colder, and coldest winters.
    ETA See My BYC Page for run ideas and coop stuff you don't need.

8. ccrichard

Jun 2, 2010
    Loxahatchee, FL
    I may not need it but your coop and run is fantastic!!! I won't show my chickens, they would call me a slum lord.

9. joebryant

Quote:They'd call you worse than that if you stuck them in a coop like mine to slow cook.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by