1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

would this work for a run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Autumn T, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Autumn T

Autumn T Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2008
    Central Texas
    http://www.laspilitas.com/garden/howto/greenhouse.html

if
    I used this frame and closed it in with hardware clothe on the bottom and something more open at top? or with hardware clothe completely closing it in?

snow isn't a problem here. we rarely get ice. leave dropping would be the most I would consider getting on it

2. kick'n chick'n

kick'n chick'n Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    tennessee
    that would work!! [​IMG]

3. Autumn T

Dec 23, 2008
    Central Texas
    would I need the clothe COMPLETELY covering it or just the lower half?

I have about 40 feral cats on my blocks, lots of small snakes, and birds of prey...plus the countless unknown nasties running around cause I am near the train tracks and edge of town woods

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    If you can afford to cover the whole thing, go for it. Hardware cloth is extremely strong, but it's also a bit pricey. If you have predators that can climb, you may want to bite the bullet and go for covering the whole run in hardware cloth.

5. kick'n chick'n

Nov 18, 2008
    tennessee
    i would use hardware cloth about 3 ft up then go with chickenwire up another 4ft then cover the top with deer netting or shade cloth on the very top. if would research hoop houses on this forum they will give ya pics & ideas.

6. Autumn T

Dec 23, 2008
    Central Texas
    kick'n chick'n :

i would use hardware cloth about 3 ft up then go with chickenwire up another 4ft then cover the top with deer netting or shade cloth on the very top. if would research hoop houses on this forum they will give ya pics & ideas.

ok where do I buy these things?
    cheapest places?

never heard of deer netting or shade clothe​

7. kick'n chick'n

Nov 18, 2008
    tennessee
    lowes or home depot would prolly be cheapest.

8. Autumn T

Dec 23, 2008
    Central Texas
    LOL
    this 'gee hunny lets get some chickens...won't be that pricey' is getting more pricey by the minute!

we have both Lowes and HD near us. also a Tractor Supply and a local farm supply.
    guess I will make some calls

9. swampwander

swampwander Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Mims, Fl
    This guy believes strongly in spending no more than 100 per coop/run.

http://www.plamondon.com/hoop-coop.html

I see it lasting one summer season here with storms. I'd have drowned chickens, but it probably works elsewhere.

10. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    If you have raccoons or fishers in your area I wouldn't use anything less than hardware cloth to cover the whole thing and a foot and a half down into the soil. I've had raccoons rip apart light gauge welded wire in the past. In my neck of the woods, using chicken wire or deer netting is little better than using nothing.

You can get by with a maximum security run if you close up the birds in a 100% secure coop every night. My hens have constant access to the run so a predator that rips through chicken wire or netting could walk right into the coop. I've lost birds this way in the past and the flock of 12 birds I gave away this past spring was eaten because of that. (I had my doubts those birds were going to survive but I let them go anyway. I learned the hard way to never give anyone a chicken that looks doomed to become critter food because of flimsy protection.)

So I opted for a cattle panel frame covered with 1/2" hardware cloth and, as mentioned, buried 18" into the ground.

Granted, the value of the eggs may mean I break even on the cost of the maximum security run in about 2011, but no critter short of a raccoon with an acetylene torch will break into the run. (Unless it's a fisher with a chainsaw going in via the coop.)

Wayne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by