Would this work for Button Quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ChickieBooBoo, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    I have a similar cage that is smaller. Honestly, they freak out in it. They run and pace & don't stop. Doesn't matter what bird is in it. I have a lone female in it for now, but have to keep it mostly draped with a towel to keep her calm. (I needed a hospital cage.) I've tried three pairs of birds in it. Every one of them freaks. They do this in any wire type cage but then calm down instantly when moved back into solid sided cages (pet taxis).

The other thing I'd ask is how far apart are the bars? I have either a cockatoo? or ?parrot cage that didn't work for buttons: one girl kept (somehow) squeezing out between the bars. The others never tried. That could be a concern, as well, if the bars are further apart than the one I have.

The other thing is that with the one I have, it is hard to put the top on / off the bottom. This could be a concern if it needed to be cleaned, but you could probably clean it without doing a tear down.

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:I guess I'll have to find something else for them, do you have a pic of one of your pens?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  3. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    You can use the 10 gallon aquariums everyone tosses. I have a few all lined up on a shelf but I also have a sheet of cardboard cut to size that makes the sides "solid" in between the tanks.
    I use these tanks to place a pair together so I can watch and make sure everyone is happy. I just introduced my adult male silver to a young female (I hope! still young)
    Sorry the glass is a bit spotty [​IMG] and the flash did not help at all! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are my temp tanks so I just use a towel on the bottom so I can easy clean between test pairs.

I learned my lesson with my first batch... I now have a few weird color mix couples [​IMG]

4. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    This is my zoo:
    [​IMG]

You can see that I have a lot of pet taxis. I find them at yard sales & thrift stores. Sometimes the handle is broken, or a dog has chewed a corner so people get rid of them & I get the - cheap. Some have needed some heavy duty cleaning. I try to pay $10 for the big ones and a bit less for the small ones. The small cat sized ones are smaller than I like. (I have two of those in use.) I like those for isolation when I need to separate someone because they are bullies or getting bullied.

The bigger ones are awesome for button quail!

I have some aquariums, too. The 30 gallon works okay. I didn't like the 10 gallon tanks once they were grown. They seemed flightier in them, too. So, those are saved for babies here.

Edited to add: Just realized I have a couple of other cages that aren't shown here, but they are for coturnix, anyway.

Edited to add pictures of some things I've done that are used for button quail. The dark blue one is my brooder, but could house button quail permanently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These, and other of my cages are on the 19th page of the quail pen thread. Those are the ones I've altered or built. I have several posts on that page (a blue brooder, blue converted cabinet used for two pairs of buttons, two large orange pens--coturnix, a small one with a chicken painted on the side, and a pink button quail cage).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=280575&p=19

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  5. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    For long term tanks you could use 20 gallons and just line them all up on a shelf with cardboard in between each tank.
    I've ben hunting for a huge 100+ gallon one to make a natural habitat for a couple pairs.

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Nope - [​IMG]
    The boink factor .... [​IMG]

7. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    I use the rubbermaid type drawer units. The clear ones (about 8'x11') with holes drilled in it. Easy to clean, no drafts and everyone is in one neat and tidy place. And best of all they can't kick shavings all over the place [​IMG]

8. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

1 pair of CBBQ/ Button Quail are comfortable in 16 L X 12 W...so anything that size or larger is fine..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by