Would this work?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stone_family3, Aug 6, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    My husband has started getting into the whole chicken thing and decided my coop wasn't good enough and we should probably use the shed (Yay exactly what I wanted [​IMG] ) So since the doors swing open and it does get hot in there, I was thinking of putting hooks on the inside of the door and making wood framed screened panels that would hang over the door in the summer time for extra air flow. Especially when I'm in there cleaning out.

Is it a totally dumb idea? I was going to use the same screen you would use on a house screen door.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    What about predators? You would be much better off using hardware cloth for your screening.

3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Really don't have many in the city, honestly it's mainly for when I'm in the coop and they're in the run. My husband did mention probably backing it up with some wire mesh we have laying around or extra chicken wire.

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I am in the vey middle of Phoenix, and we get tons of predators. Remember, a house cat can easily rip thorugh chicken wire. Hawks, cats, dogs, snakes, (small children) are all possible predators to your birds.

5. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm aware of that, we have a rabbit that is kept out in nothing more than a chicken wire run and nothing has ever happened other then a baby bunny getting in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by