would this work?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wcah, Jun 5, 2012.

1. wcah

wcah Songster

Feb 5, 2012
    Shropshire, England. UK
    Since some of my eggs or in the incubator already, and i have a delivery of 12 more the end of the week. I have now realized that its not wise to add the eggs, due to the humidity change on the 18th day. I thought id have a go a making a hatcher or an incubator myself. But do i NEED to have a thermostat? I was thinking along the lines of a polistireen box, 40w bulb conected to a dimmer to control the heat do you think this would work? Would i need a fan? what the differance in performance between a still air and a forced air incubator? Many thanks

2. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    You can put more eggs in your incubator. I know a guy who adds eggs almost every day. He doesn't adjust humidity, doesn't do lockdown... And he's had a good hatch rate so far. When the chick's hatched, he removes it to the brooder and there's space for another egg! He just writes dates on the eggs, so he knows which went in when.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I use a dimmer switch on mine, for now. I have experienced a couple temperature spikes over night and will be adding a thermostat after this hatching season. Now that I use my home made bator, I use my 2 old hovabators as hatchers, in theory. I currently have 24 turkey eggs in one of them.

[​IMG]

4. wcah

wcah Songster

Feb 5, 2012
    Shropshire, England. UK
    that looks so cool!!! whats the thing in the top left of the picture? Is the heat sauce coming just from the bulbs?

5. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    I have a home made incubator with a 25 watt bulb. it's a large plastic cooler. I do not have a fan or anything like that. I have a thermometer, a thing to read humidity and a lightbulb. That is is. I've had good luck with this. But you must keep the room at a steady temperature.

6. JLeigh

JLeigh Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    Nurse-Turtle, My husband was talking about making an incubator just last night, and I thought "Uh-oh, here we go" but after seeing yours, I'm going to show him the picture and get him started! What do you use to cover the front? And I also want to know what the silver/green thing is in the upper left of the picture. My husband is a builder/master electrician - - I think he can do it!! He'll be able to put a thermostat, timer, anything we want on it.

Thanks for the inspiration (Shhhh, don't tell hubby it came from you and not him). I see many chicken and guinea hatches in my future.

7. wcah

wcah Songster

Feb 5, 2012
    Shropshire, England. UK
    Been thinking more about the heat sauce and my BF came up with a snake/lizard heat pad. I carnt find any like this on the internet and i feel there must be a reason for it. Would it work? many thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: