Would this work?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animal boy, Feb 11, 2013.

1. animal boy

animal boy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2012
    Last year along with my chickens I raised a pair of rouen ducks. I really enjoyed them but when I would free range them they would always try to cross the road. I live in an urban area on a busy street and I didn't want them to get hit so sadly I decided to give them away. My chickens imprinted on the much faster growing ducks and would follow them into the road. I was thinking if maybe I got more ducks this spring they would imprint on the now adult chickens. They don't wander as far as the ducks did. Would ducks eventually stop following the chickens and go off on their own once they got to a certain age? I really want ducks again but I don't want to risk their lives and end up having to give them away again. Also I have an adult rooster in my flock that was supposed a hen but oh well. Would he and other hen be alright with the ducks? I introduced an adult hen I got and they seem to be doing fine but that's a chicken... Not a duck

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    We all have our own setups and limitations, I am one who would keep the ducks in a pen for their own safety. We just have so many predators around here.

3. animal boy

Oct 9, 2012
    I would but just the thought of them being cooped up all day just isn't me. Also are there duck breeds that tend to wonder off more often then others

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My experiences with predator attacks have led me to conclude I would rather the ducks be somewhat confined (230 square feet for 13 ducks is close to 18 square feet per duck, and there is a kiddie pool or two with them, and areas they can forage in the pen) than attacked. I appreciate the desire to let them roam. It's a cool idea. I have just become really averse to leaving the ducks so vulnerable. I take mine for walks, so they're not in the pen all the time. With the hawks around here, the ducks seem much more relaxed under cover than out in the open.

Just needed to get that off my chest. You need to do what you need to do.

5. animal boy

Oct 9, 2012
    I understand. I've seen my fair share of hawks, foxes, opossums, skunks etc. I see them all the time around my house, but I've never had one attack my flock

6. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    ducks, are ducks and cannot be equated with chickens. Amiga has given you the best possible answer. Never allow your ducks to just 'run'. they have a different agenda than chickens do. Keep them penned if you can't be with them, as you should your chickens. Tragedy is always waiting to happen. Why give it a helping hand?

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks for your understanding. It is major heartache to lose a duck, and it seems even worse when it's due to an attack. So I feel strongly about that. At the same time, folks need to make their own way. But if I can save someone that sick feeling that happens after their ducks are gone, I would rather speak up ahead of time.

So think about it, day pens aren't complicated, mine is literally a big fenced box sitting on the ground.

8. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    You go girl!!! You have saved me from so many mistakes in the past it isn't even funny. Anyone who doesn't listen to you and your advice is asking for trouble.

9. animal boy

Oct 9, 2012
    After that being said... Are there any duck breeds that Bare confinement better then others. My Rouen ducks would always being quacking real loud and wouldn't stop until I let them out.

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Each duck, each flock is their own unique and special individual. Ducks, like children, make liars of us (old saying from my mama). In other words, just as soon as I write that this or that will work with ducks, there will be a duck or a flock somewhere that does the opposite.

So.

I have runners and buffs. They chatter a bit, but are mostly quiet in the pen unless:

they hear my car coming down the road
    they know I am in the house and I have not come to see them in about an hour
    they are low on food
    something has them worried (the presence of a stray cat in the yard, for example)

If my ducks have fresh water to play in, food, an area where there is duff (a.k.a. mulch or organic material) to nose around in looking for worms, some nice straw in a few sheltered corners to nestle down into, a relatively clean pen (may smell a little of fresh poo, but not offensive), they probably won't make nonstop racket.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by