would u?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ra, Mar 5, 2009.

1. ra

ra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    would u put a floor in the coop or leave it dirt then do the deep liter type thing? we think its going to be a A frame type coop 4x8 for 8 layers. i was thinking just setting in on dirt but dont know if it would be better for some reason to put wood down? it will be under a deck with chicken wire and blocks to keep other animals out. then they have the yard to play in. what are ur thoughts?

thanks
    ryan

2. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    I just built a coop with no floor. Easy to clean, just get the leaf rake out. However, I live in the desert and have not been through a monsoon yet. I don't think I'll have much trouble with flooding though, we'll see. I posted pics under "My Cull Wood Coop" just a few minutes ago. The Chickens seem to like it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  3. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I have an A frame coop about the same size. I put a floor in the coop side and the back opens to collect the eggs. I didn't put wire under it and was afraid my dogs might dig in (dauchsounds) but they didn't. But we did have to move it around because of how much the chickens dig. Now I just use it for my seramas and my hens are in a different area. But it worked. Although it wasn't very pretty.[​IMG]

4. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    I have a dirt floor now and am planning on installing a floor this summer because I don't think my hens want to spend another spring wading in the mud. No matter how much we mound the dirt or how deep the litter is we still get mud. We get 3-5' of snow each winter. We need a coop on stilts [​IMG]

5. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    I would worry about snakes getting in. We live in a very rural area though and have problems some years with them. When it rains a lot. Also coons and other critters can dig in as well. Just depends on where you live I guess.

6. ra

ra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    thanks every one. could u put wire on the bottom with shavings over the top? or would they dig down and get hurt with the wire?

ryan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by