Would you advertise lost keys? Update.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by lengel, Oct 19, 2009.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    I lost my keys. Called the dealer and found that it would cost $1200 to get the computer changed out of the truck for the alarm system because they can't duplicate the alarm thingie off the copy (since I lost the master). We really need two sets. So I was thinking we could get the house locks changed much more inexpensively but I need that master set for the truck back.

I know the area I lost them in. I literally got out of my truck to run after my dog and when I caught him realized that I had dropped the keys somewhere along the way. I suggested placing an ad with a reward but DH is worried. Not sure why though since we have to change the locks on the house anyway, in part because one of our doors is broken and we need to replace the whole thing with the lock as it is.

What do you think? Would you place an ad? I don't see a risk but maybe I'm just not getting it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    You could place an add and leave a friend's email and phone number.

I think you would have better luck buying a metal detector and looking for them where you lost them, though ... unless it's an area with short grass, pavement, or such. What's the likelyhood of them being found / seen where you lost them?

3. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Quote:I really don't know what the likelihood is. We had some really cold weather early and the leaves just dropped off the trees so that's part of the problem I think. There's quite a bit of traffic along that way but the leaves got deep really quick fast.

The metal detector is a good idea. I'll look into that tomorrow. At least we'll have something to show for the money.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

You could buy one of those $15 GO phones from Dollar General or Wal-Mart and when you place the ad, use that number and then meet them at a public location to receive the keys. That's the ONLY way I would do it.

5. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    Metal Detector first, then Go Phone add, I would not use anyone's address. Nor their actual home address due to reverse phone lookup.

Definitely chane all your locks anyway if someone else has had your keys.

Laney

6. wombat

Jun 23, 2009
    Hopefully nobody's found them yet.

We had to find a ring on about 2 acres, bought a metal detector, from there it was just a matter of patience. We found it in about 3 hours.

7. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    I lost my second set of keys when my mom left them on the hood of my car. On the way to my son's school, I turn off the main road and hear a weird noise. Mom fessed up, and I had to run out through heavy traffic to retrieve them. They were just to the side, near the divider, so nobody ran them over.

Good luck getting your keys. At least the metal detecting might be fun, and maybe you'll find something else neat!

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Change your house locks AND the truck's ignition if you can't get them back. Don't get a replacement key, have the computer code changed completely.

My mom/sister were loading up their Yukon IN THEIR DRIVEWAY on a dead-end road in the woods. My sister put her guitar in the truck and went back in the house, and before they got ready to leave somebody had gotten into the truck taken the guitar and her purse with keys (no wallet/money though the guitar was a loss)

They changed the house door locks the next day, and had the Yukon's computer reprogrammed (it wasn't no $1200 though, think like $150?)

Whoever it was has been back. [​IMG] TWICE that they know of. [​IMG]

I told them they should get a dog or two.

9. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I think I would check with more than one dealer on what takes to fix your problem. It sounds like the dealer that you talked had picked a really expensive way to fix a problem.

10. wombat

Jun 23, 2009
    Quote:Yeah, computers can be reprogrammed ... replacing it seems a bit odd. Even if that dealer can't, you'd think for far less they could FedEx it to the manufacturer and get it reprogrammed if there was not other option.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by