Would you ask for a refund or?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Book, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Book

Book Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2012
    Eastern GA
    Ordered 6 eggs on ebay and they took longer to ship than indicated but I didn't mention it because I know hens lay when they want. The eggs got here and the box smelled so bad. Inside was shredded paper, and half an egg carton with eggs wrapped in one layer of paper towel and 2 burst eggs with the other eggs looking cloudy in them, scrambled but darker. I am assuming all bacteria eggs. Can that happen in three days with fresh eggs? They fill so fast with bacteria that they burst?

The house still stinks from opening the box.... -smh-

So do I ask for a refund? I know sometimes bacteria eggs happen but not one of these eggs is viable! The person looks rather new to selling on ebay....

Photo:

[​IMG]

The smell the smell! LOL THAT is the worst part of all this! And my son being upset, he is 8 and these were supposed to be his special chickens. (He has had the worst time "loosing" his chickens/duck out of all 4 kids!) His sisters eggs got here yesterday perfectly....

2. QueenofKings

QueenofKings Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    United States
    I would. That egg is absolutely disgusting. If those eggs were for hatching, they shouldve been wrapped better and collected fresh with better shipping to boot.

EDIT: Those aren't fresh either - bombs for me usually happen after incubating them in near 120*F for the majority of the 21 days.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I would as well. That's just awful looking. I hope the seller squares things up for you and your son gets his special chickens. Good luck!

4. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    wow, I don't think it gets worse than that!

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    That is gross! Did you pay by Paypal? If so, you can file a complaint through them and they should refund your money. Ebay and Paypal are definitely more buyer-friendly than seller-friendly so you shouldn't have a problem.

6. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    I would contact the seller first and send them that photo. Give them a chance to make it right and if they don't, then file a claim.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Of course you need to ask for a refund, and leave appropriate feed back after the issue is resolved. Other buyers won't know not to deal with this person if you don't do that.

I agree it's not just from being shipped, or setting for a few days. I have eggs in the coop for a few days that don't stink, and even clear eggs that were incubated for 15+ days don't smell like that.

8. Book

Book Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2012
    Eastern GA
    Ok contacted them through ebay about it and included the photo. I tried hard to be kind about it but goodness the smell..... it lingers! They have not replied back yet about it. Now hunting down new eggs for my son!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by