Would you be mad????

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by miss_thenorth, Dec 1, 2008.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    The last 5 birds I have taken out to cook, one of the wings had been broken off. Two of the birds had the skin on the breast ripped.

Is this typical when you take birds to the processor? I am extremely upset over this. One I overlooked,--two, mental note to self,--three--complained to hubby, --four complained louder and said I would call abbattoir if it happened again. Five--going to call abbattoir, but want to check to see if this is a common occurrence.

2. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I have all my meat birds processed.I may find an occasional flaw but your situation sounds alittle much.Sounds like he used a wire wheel or a concrete mixer to pluck your birds.I would call and ask if he had a problem with his plucker and explain your findings.It won't affect the meat just doesn't look cosmeticly good for your dinner company. Will

3. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Sounds like you need another processor. I have had some processed and not a problem with one. If you are paying you deserve the best. Processor must be in a hurry or just doesn't care.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The odd broken wing and ripped skin is common. It's just one of those things. You wouldn't pay them enough $$ to hand pluck everything, and the plucker machines can damgae the birds (especially if the scald was a bit on the hot side).

5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I wouldn't be upset. I am not sure how they could do it perfectly every time.

6. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Out of how many? just curious.

I have 30 done at a time and sometimes a couple will be missing a wing or thier gizzards or such... the first time I was disappointed... then after that, I realized it's not always perfect but the guy is honest enough and the plant is closer and cleaner then the other plant around these parts.

Sometimes I realized he thew in and extra limb on one of the fryers if something went missing or was too damaged...and he told me about it at pick up.

Doesn't hurt to keep your guy informed and keep on a good standing of communication with him.

That's what I do.

me,
    g

7. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    The ripped skin can be prevented.... the wings not so much. Tell your processor that the water was too hot when he scalded. I'm sure he knows this but let him know that your upset with it. The time wasn't taken to cool the water off... which is his fault.

Jeff

8. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    The last batch, I brought in 24. Out of those 24, the first 5 I cooked had the broken-off wings. I still have left to eat out of that batch 19, and I don';t know right now whether the rest are good. I just thought it odd that the first 5 I took out all had a wing missing.

So yesterday, we called, and they are not assuming any responsibility for any of this. They basically said it was our fault on how they were transported from our place to theirs. This is soooo not true, since one of the reasons I grow my own is for humane and ethical treatment of our birds.

Sadly, there are no other processors within three hours of our place. I will be putting an ad out to purchase my own equipment so we can do our own birds.

I pay $3.60 per bird for them to process my birds. And they literally butchered them.

I'm not happy.

9. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I can't blame you.For $3.60 a bird,that's a professional fee,you should get a professional job.I pay $2.00 and I think I get a very good job.
    It's too bad,they are hard to find,but for that price you may be better off doing your own.I wish more processors would pop up.There are mobile processors around but they want a few hundred at a time,Slauderhouses like doing the larger animals because of the $$$ and rather not mess with poultry.
    Like I said before,you may get a bad bird once in awhile but not often.I wasn't suggesting that they should be hand plucked,be seriousJust shown a little more care. Many people who raise livestock even for comsumption want their animals treated with care during processing.For that price I don't think you're being unreasonable. Will

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by