Would you be upset if your child's teacher...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only time a teacher comes to our houses were when they were in KRP (Kindergarten Readiness Program) and after that we go to school. That sounds a little presumputious for her to assume she can just come to your house. Call the prin. and see what he/she has to say!

I was thinking back and I was taught it should be 10 minutes of homework per night per whatever grade they were in. 10 minutes for first grade, 20 minutes for 2nd, 30 for 3rd, and so on.

Tell her you pray and have a Bible in your house so due to the required "Separation of Church and State" that the public school has really latched on to you will require the meeting to be at school to prevent any conflicts!

Here head start does the same thing, if you don't agree to a home visit, your kid can't be in the program.

I was really worried that when my kids started school, I'd have to turn out to be a problem parent. Luckily, our schools are very well run, and we are quite happy with them. I've not had to discipline any administrators.

If I ever had the school telling me that I had to agree to what amounts to a home inspection to get my kid into a program paid for by my tax dollars, there would be a permanent lawyer encampment in the administrative offices before the day was out and I would bury the offenders in paperwork before they knew what hit them.​

Is this teacher writing off her miles? Is this an effort to boost her return? LOL I am sorry, i couldn't resist! It just seems very odd and i have 1 in 11th grade and been in 3 states and never heard of such a thing.

Homework is always more important then TV & game time. Not for nothing you have the whole weekend for family time!

Quote:
I worked for Head Start for 9 years. Here they require a "home visit" to be in the program - but it does not have to actually be at the home. Sometimes it was at school, the parents work, or a coffee shop. Most teachers were NOT out to uncover and report bad parenting, but rather to understand where the child is coming from. If they live in a small trailer with 10 other family members, you are going to be better able to understand why they are uncomfortable with routine and structure.

I think your teacher is just trying to get to know the families better so that she can help your student where he is at.

That being said I think that if you just politely decline, then she would not think any less of you.

As for the homework - I don't think the world outside of education understands the pressure that the No Child Left Behind has placed on teachers and school districts. We all want our children to be successful and reading to/with them every day is one way to accomplish this.

and no offense - but an hour of game time seems a lot for a 6 yr old if you are meaning video games. Why is that more important than homework?

Good point! I did many Home Visits at McDonald's or the park or the Head Start Center. The point of the visit was to meet with the family, not to look in cupboards and under beds. So, I guess I was wrong, our program also requires a Home Visit...I always wished we could call them family visits instead...now I know why
smile.png

As far as the homework, my kids have had it since Preschool (increasing slowly every year) and now that they are older, I'm thankful they had so much. They have learned time management skills and realize they really need to work at school. It has primed them for college and life. My kids never had to sacrifice play time or activities due to their homework load...even if they had several hours of it a day. They just managed their time.

As for the conferences at home....no way would I allow the teacher into my home. School is school; home is home.

PBJ REALLY you think and hour is too much? I guess it could be but I felt virtous because I only give him an hour and most everyone else seems to give theirs hours or even unlimited.

But hey I am already the meanest mom in the world for making him put the dishes away EVERY day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom