Would you buy a used coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Branch Chickens, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Branch Chickens

Branch Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014
    China, Maine
    Trying to figure out where we want to put our chickens this spring, and we're leaning toward a freestanding coop, rather than converting space in our barn.

There is a used coop for sale up the road, and I'm wondering if that is a definite no or a maybe.
    It seems likely that something like cocci could be passed on to my flock this way, and maybe something else, but maybe I'm just overworrying? What do you think?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I know people on here have bought 2nd hand coops, there is a way to sterilize them, i mean honestly if you bought a property with coops you'd have to practice the same, i'd search for "sterilizing used coops" i have no personal experience so i cannot help much past that.

Good luck with your flock.

[​IMG]

3. Branch Chickens

Branch Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014
    China, Maine
    Thanks GQ [​IMG]
    Sterilizing is a good idea.
    We may also be insulating (with a wall over the insulation), so I guess that would provide an additional buffer from the old walls.
    It looks like a decent coop, a little extra space for our girls, and it's in our town. If it can save my husband a few weekends of building time, it might be worth it. Sterilizing is something I can do. Building...not so much. Yet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by