Would you buy broken bags of feed at a discount...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sunny Side Up, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    ...if you couldn't check the contents for bugs/mold, and you couldn't return it if you bought it and it did?

Maybe I'm expecting too much from my feed store. But my chickens are on a tight budget, they have to buy their own feed from the eggs they sell, and I try to help them get their money's worth and find bargains for them when I can.

Occasionally my local feed store will offer broken bags of feed for sale at a discount. The bags are sealed with wide strong tape to cover the tears/holes. Last week I found 2 broken bags of chick starter that I could use (it's mostly horse or dog food in that discount pile). But when I got them home & opened them, they contained some of those thready stringy bits that indicate moth larvae. One was still useable, the other had far too much for me to want to use.

I took it back a few days later, with the receipt, and was told "No refunds on broken bags!" But I complained since that policy was never stated nor displayed when I bought it. And they grudgingly returned my money, but said from now on, no refunds for me.

I didn't think I was being unfair to them. I'll buy broken feed bags at a discount since I'm getting less than the full amount. But I won't pay less for spoiled feed.

Today I was back at that same store & again found a bag of chick starter in the discount pile. This time I tore the tape (carefully) to look inside the bag, being very careful not to spill any feed on the floor. If I had found any spoilage I would have informed the staff and let them either remove the bag or tape it back up. But since the feed was good, I was prepared to buy it.

While I was inspecting that bag one of the staff came over and scolded me "You can't be opening all the bags!" I told him I was only opening that one bag, and being neat & careful, and didn't want to buy bug-infested feed again.

Am I expecting too much? From the store's perspective I'm sure they'd rather sell something than have to throw it away. But must I be a gambler while being a bargain-hunter? I'm already gambling that I'm getting my money's worth based on the weight of the feed left in the bag. They're not discounting them that much. But I don't want to gamble that my bargain might be a waste of money after all if the discounted feed is spoiled.

I know, believe me I know, how finances are tight for business owners as well as individuals. But I don't think it's good customer relations to take money for spoiled product bought sight unseen and refuse a refund. If I'm ripping bags and making a mess then go ahead and scold me. Otherwise, show me appreciation for bringing in my business.

2. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    I know it might be hard, but, If I were you, I would have to pass this up.

It sounds like you are taking a pretty big risk on buying the broken bags, and the employees don't sound very helpful or supportive.

3. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    idk, im behind you on the returning the feed, and i think you should also be able to check out the feed before you buy it.....i wish my store had this deal.....to bad they cant throw all the broken feed bags into a big bin - the bags, and you have to pay a dicouted price for every bucket of feed or something...ya know?

4. why not have a private talk with the manager and explain why you were opening the bag to check for bugs, If he is uncooperative, if the store has a main office e mail them and ask what EXCACTELY (sp) is their policy on broken bags of feed.Times are tough and I'm sure that a regular customer should be granted some leeway. marrie

5. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    There is no way that I would risk it any more. For all you know your not getting enough feed for the price.

6. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

our feed store offers discounted bags...I have bought them....
    our feed store offers bags that aren't broke...I have bought them..

I have bought new bags/no rips in bags/ normal everyday feed bags....dumped out the feed and found GREEN moldy feed in them...

You can get moldy food in any bag...sealed or broke.....it happens...

I guess if I can get it at a cheaper price I will....

I have bought all kinds of animal feed....I dont' always look for the broken bags, but if it's something I am in need of, I will consider the ripped bag, if the discounted price is worth it...(I don't consider $1-$3 a justifiable price...it's gotta be alot better price cut...)

7. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Bugs? Moth larva? My hens would love them and eat them like candy. Surprised they don't charge extra for the extra protein.

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Me Too!
    I've never found bad chicken food, but when I had indoor caged birds I thought of moths and worms as a bonus. Score!

Although I did get a little annoyed if they infested my house, and I had to bomb, to get rid of them.

At my feed store they never have broken bags of anthing I want.

Imp-catches his own bugs

9. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I scored 50lbs of foodgrade DE last week for 15 bucks. My feed store uses broken bags to fill baggies for ppl that don't want to buy 25 lbs or more at a time. I guess they only have a couple of chicks. I did buy a bag of cracked corn from them for treats because i didn't want a big bag.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Far as I know, the feed store here puts the broken bags in the bin for per lb purchases.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by