Would you buy eggs from Northern California?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Aquella, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Aquella

Aquella Chirping

Mar 1, 2011
    I hope this is the proper forum for this question. I couldn't find a forum for "overprotective/paranoid chicken Momma"...

I found some eggs from a seller in Northern CA that I REALLY want. But, I've been avoiding any poultry from anywhere near CA for some time now due to the Newcastle disease issues in Southern CA. Is this reasonable? Or am I just being overly paranoid?

TIA

BlueBaby likes this.
  2. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    I think it’s very reasonable.

I personally wouldn’t dare risk it.

Aquella likes this.
  3. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Crowing

May 20, 2015
    Where do you draw the line? Would you buy them from NV, AZ, UT? Those are closer to S CA than N CA is.

4. Aquella

Aquella Chirping

Mar 1, 2011
    So far this year I haven't purchased past the Midwest.

5. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    I'm in Central/NorCal. Where the outbreak is in SoCal is 7 hours drive from me. It'll be fine.

ETA: People who aren't from the West often think areas are closer than they are. I have relatives from the Midwest who came to visit one year. They were so excited and suggested we take a drive to Disneyland for a day. It's in the same state afterall. No DLand trip from here will be made in one day!

6. We have many no. Cali people here. You might want to post on the Northern California thread. Many people really don’t “get” how big California is. If there was something I wanted I would buy it.

7. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    Here are some pics to put it in perspective. Just for fun! :)
    NBUkL.png
    boswashovelay.jpg

ronott1, Peepsi, Willowspirit and 2 others like this.
  8. Northern Calif has never been in the quarantine zone and, to my knowledge, there was but a single case of vND. I think it's entirely safe and completely legal to buy hatching eggs from NoCal.

It's also worth knowing that vND poses extremely little threat to humans either from ingesting properly cooked foods or contact with infected birds. The threat lies in the movement of birds spreading the contagion to other birds.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  9. Aquella

Aquella Chirping

Mar 1, 2011
    Thanks all. I shall continue to mull. :) I am fully aware of the size of CA. Lol. I am not as confident in the ability to confine a disease to just one area, let alone one state. (No matter how ginormous that state may be.) But I really don't know. Thus the question. :p

10. Can't remember all of what's already been said but are you aware that the last reported case of vND (which occurred in SoCal rather than NoCal, BTW) was June 4? And I believe prior to that incident there were only a handful in the 3 SoCal counties that have been involved in the contagion.

You should, of course, do what you feel good about but the chances you'd get a pristine unaffected egg from NoCal are extremely good. OTOH, a similar egg may be available from another part of the country that gives you more confidence.

Have you contacted the hatcheries to see what they have available?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: