Would you buy mutt eggs for $6/dozen + shipping

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Cocky, May 11, 2009.

1. Cocky

Cocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    I am trying to figure out whether it would be worth trying if there is enough interest I want to start selling.

Buff orp roo over the following hens
    Black giant
    Red sexlink
    Black Sexlink
    Golden Comet
    Ameracuana....This cross makes some beautiful chickens that have laid an olive green colored egg. (some lay green, some lay other colors) They have the characteristics of the ameracuana like big puffy cheeks and beards but with most of the color of the buff.

2. Cocky

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    I got a couple of responses. So, I am going to talk it over with my wife, and if she's okay with it we may start shipping some eggs (they are her chickens after all). If anyone else is interested please let me know.

For those of you who have already expressed interest, I will let you know asap what my wife and I decide on.

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    the orp/am cross is an awesome chicken. I would think you could sell those pretty easy.

4. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

A lot of folks like Mutts [​IMG] as long as it isn't an ugly mutt [​IMG]

I think if you have decent stock to begin with, and if they produce Olive Eggers (the brown egg layer/ameracauna crosses) then you'll have a market for them.

I have pure bred and I have mutts - the mutts are the sweetest of the bunch.

meri

5. Cocky

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    I've hatched off a bunch of them in the past. Especially the buff/ameracuana... They are my favorites. The ones I hatched off had big puffy cheeks and beards and the roos were beautiful. They had buff feathers with a hint of red in them and blackpin feathers with a green sheen. The girls were mostly buff, and about 2/3-3/4 laid olive eggs and the others laid various shades inbetween olive and creamy/pinkish-brown.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  6. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    My buff/am hen is 5 years old and still lays a huge green egg a day. everyone who comes to my farm wants to buy her.

7. Cocky

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    After Speaking with my wife she is interested in trying this out, but we have never shipped eggs before. What is the best way to ship eggs cheaply, but safely?

8. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I would love to have some of your mutt eggs! (with extra Buff/Am crosses of course)! [​IMG]

9. Cocky

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    Lanissa86

Sorry it took a little while to respond. I am trying to get the details on the best way to ship my eggs now. I just wanted to be sure you are still interested, and if so how many eggs would you be interested in (I can work out some extra buff/am in there). Thanks for your interest and time.

Scotty

10. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    The best shipped ones I have recieved so far were idividually wrapped LOOSELY in cellophane, then set in 6 egg egg cartons, then put in a box of packing peanuts. You should first send out a free batch to someone (have them just pay for shipping) so that you can test your fertility rates and viability . Make sure it is someone who will report this information back to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by