1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would you buy these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by emvickrey, Sep 21, 2009.

1. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I am wanting to buy a frizzle roo and saw this ad in craigslist. I can drive to pick him up instead of pay the high cost of shipping. But. i'm just not sure about the quality. The owner said that one of them is getting pecked by a roo and his feathers are a bit messy. Then the second pic is of a white roo that is suppose to be a Japanese bantam. I'm not real sure if it is suppose to look like that or not. I haven't researched it as of yet. Then the third is the Frizzle's daddy, hes white too.

Could you all let me know what y ou think of them. Would you buy either frizzle. The owner also said that they don't have 5 toes nor dark skin. Now I don't know if that is normal either. The legs on the JB are yellow. Don't know about that either.

Here are the frizzles
    [​IMG]

Here is their daddy
    [​IMG]

and here is the Japanese Bantam
    [​IMG]

What do you think ya'll.

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    The quality of the birds is pet-quality at best.

3. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    What is he asking for them? The top to frizzle cochins have a strange pattern about them. Almost looks like a gold spangled pattern. The "dad"....I dont think that is the father of those birds. I could be wrong and this person should know their flock better than me, but I just do not see any way. The bottom Jap looks like a decent specimen, but pics aren't great.

4. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I didn't think the dad looked llike a pure frizzle anyway. He's mixed with something.
    They're asking 5 for the frizzles each and 3 for the Japanese bantam. I really don't have a use for the Japanese bantam. but I could use a roo. They are suppose to be 3 months old. The pullets I want him for are 3 and 4 months. ONe is a Sizzle and the other is a silkie/aracuna mix. She is about the same color as the roos.

Here's the link
    http://jacksontn.craigslist.org/grd/1384475660.html

Here is another ad I thought somebody may be interested in.
    http://jacksontn.craigslist.org/grd/1384758809.html

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    I agree with Dustin.

Just so you know, frizzle isn't a breed, it's a gene. It can be carried by any breed or variety. The most common is the frizzled cochin. If you're looking for them to have black skin and 5 toes, look for a sizzle breeder.

6. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I'm sorry, I know frizzle isn't a breed but that it is bred into them. I cll them a breed because they actually have a name. The mixture has a single name to identify its looks. I have a Sizzle that I want to breed a frizzle to her chicks. I have the silkie roo on his way here. What I plan to do is breed the Sizzle and Silkie and then breed that chicks I pick of theirs to breed with the frizzle. Just to see what I get. I'm working towards a very fluffy sizzle, but I don't want to see a red comb. That is my mission anyway. I just like the way a Sizzle looks. My little hen is just so cute. It would be hard to pass up buying one just to watch.

The silkie/auacuna i have looks like she's bobtailed compared to her other 2 sisters. And she is close to the same coloring as these two frizzles. I would like to see what they make too. Well the colloring is actually the same but she is snooth and they aren't. I"m not into show birds. Just want something different.

7. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Do not breed two frizzled birds together. The result is that 25% of the offspring will carry two copies of the frizzle gene. These birds are known as curlys. They have brittle feathers that break off easily. They have no protection for the elements and it's quite painful to the birds.

If you're going to breed your sizzle, breed it to a smooth feathered bird.

8. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    How do I get the fluffy looking frizzles that I see on here so much that are so pretty. By the way, your Avatar is just beautiful. Is that a Silkie. My eyes are bad this morning, think BP must be up. I can see a black fluffy chicken.

I don't want to get a chicken with a bad hair day. I want the softer look but just fluffy and with curly feathers. By the way, do you think it would be a good buy to get one of the Frizzles I put a pic up of. They only want $5 and it is an hour drive.

9. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:I just went to your website. Your self blues look like one that I have on its way here. Its not show quality because of his toes but i'm not interested in his toes. Mine look worse. [​IMG]

10. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Thanks for the compliments, yes he is a silkie. What you'll want to do is breed your sizzle to a silkie. As long as your sizzle is carrying the silkie gene, you'll get 25% smooth (unsilkied, non frizzled), 25% silkies (non frizzled), 25% frizzled (non silkied), 25% frizzled silkie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by