1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

would you consider these two to be SQ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LCwilson, Dec 31, 2009.

1. LCwilson

LCwilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i kind of got her at a bad time. she put her head down. but even still what do u think?
    [​IMG]

2. adkchickmama

adkchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Adirondacks
    I don't know what SQ is but whatever they are they are gorgeous. GOod Luck , someone more knowledgeable will be able to help you soon. [​IMG]

3. LCwilson

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    it means show quality

4. adkchickmama

adkchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Adirondacks
    Oh wait I got it after I posted. SHow Quality. What are they? I am curious, they are beautiful birds. Again someone with more knowledge about them will help you out soon.

5. BlueMottie

BlueMottie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Rock
    Hey there [​IMG]

The white pullet (?) looks alright. I wouldn't say she's show quality, but she could be a breeder quality bird if you paired her up with the right cock. It looks like she's just a little bit feather tight towards her saddle, and she could use some more fluff to achieve the "ball" like look of a show cochin. Looks like she could use some more leg feathering as well.

The buff, I wouldn't use for breeding or for show. Her coloring is off (notice the differing shades of buff?) and it looks like she has a slipped wing-but that could just be how she was holding her wing at that moment. She looks better then some hatchery birds, but I wouldn't consider her more then a pet.

Where did you get the two from?

6. LCwilson

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    i got them from the chicken show in columbus.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I agree with BlueMottie, but I would like to see the white bird's left wing (facing the bird) fanned out (the one in the second pic.). It might be slipped all so but it could be the way it being held all so.

Chris

8. LCwilson

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    what does slipped wing mean.

and could you post pics of a bird that is SQ?

at all angles......

thanks.
    cole.

9. BlueMottie

BlueMottie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Rock
    Quote:A slipped wing is a feather defect in the primaries and secondaries where the feather in question twists over or under the feather(s) next to it.

Look at the birds on the pages of the breeders from www.cochinrules.com, some of the people there have extremely nice cochins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by