would you consider this a dog proof brooder

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by applecore5, Aug 1, 2013.

1. applecore5

applecore5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Elizabeth, CO
    i have 2 Jack Russells and i love my dogs but they are NOT a chicken friendly type of dog. we had an incident last spring where my male got out and got into our brooder and killed all 24 of our 4 week chicks. this can never happen again for so many reasons! we have made the dog area about as escape proof as someone could get it. we have the chicken coop an run almost impenetrable. now we are on to making a brooder that is also dog proof. tell me what you think. :) thanks!!!

[​IMG]
    the brooder is 4' x 6'
    [​IMG]
    the hardware cloth is stapled, tacked, and has wood screwed over it for added strength.
    [​IMG]
    this area has a removable divider so i can keep the chicks in a smaller area for the first few days and then remove the divider so they can have access to the whole thing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I personally think that a dog couldn't think of getting into that! Great brooder! Much better than my cardboard box!

3. applecore5

applecore5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Elizabeth, CO
    thanks. we had the cardboard box and i LOVE the cardboard box....wonderfully effective and cheap!!! but my dog found it a little too easy to get in...

4. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Nice size brooder. I would simply locate it in a room or garage when the dogs do not have access. It is great to have the brooder built to withstand a dog attack but I also would not want a dog scratching, barking, and or jumping up on the box box to terrorize the chicks.

[​IMG]

5. jstlitlome

jstlitlome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    That is a fantastic looking brooder! We just used a pallet box. I love yours.

Ditto on the last post, I would keep it in a separate room anyway. Jack Russells are very smart, you never know what they might figure out! I have some friends who lost all of their chickens to a jack russell as well. ugh.

I have a dog who is 1/2 jack russell. I dont trust him at all. I think he would "try" to not eat my chickens because he is a people pleaser, but I think his instincts would get the best of him. Good luck!

Leslie

6. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Looks like a great brooder. Have you started on any training with your dog? Even if you plan on keeping them separate all the time, accidents happen and it's better if your dog knows how you want her to react if the situation arises. Some breeds tend to take a little more time to train than others but it is definitely do-able. Let me know if you need some training ideas.

7. jstlitlome

jstlitlome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    I would love some training ideas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by