Would you eat a poult you had to cull?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by AhBee01, May 15, 2009.

1. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    We were given 5 broad breasted white poults. They guy that gave them to us didn't know what they were. His idea was to keep them as pets. He kept 5, and gave us 5.
    One died early on. One had gotten spaddle leg, but not like a chick would, his entire leg twisted. I tried to brace it, it didn't work, so we culled it.It was 3 weeks old.
    So out of the three, 2 were growing really fast, then their legs started to twist. They are 7 weeks old, and almost as big as a 9 month chicken. We can't see wasting the meat, we already feel bad to have to cull. We feel that they have no quality of life, hate to see them suffer. Feel bad that only one will be left, and lonely.
    So I guess my queston is has anyone every eaten a bird they had to cull?
    Thanks
    Brenda

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Yep, a bad leg doesn't make anything wrong with the meat!

3. AhBee01

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Do you think because of how fast they grew is what would cause the leg problems?
    Could it have been genetics? Or disease?

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    If its big enough to get a meal out of it, then dont waste the meat. Walking with a limp doesnt make it any less tasty.

They are like the cornish X of the turkey world, sometimes thier bodies just dont keep up with the growth rate.

5. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    It's the rate of growth combined with genetics. Those meat birds are not designed to hold up their own weight.

6. AhBee01

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Thanks
    Brenda

7. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    They sound like Cornish cross, mine are now 4 months old. They are not birds you should leave food in front of, they will eat themselves to death.

So being they are eating birds and it is their legs and not some unknown disease, I would say go ahead and eat them. May as well do the last one also, seems she will end up the same way. Cornish Cross are not pets for everyone, only special feedings or diets keep them from growing to fast.

8. AhBee01

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    It is a turkey poult, we were raising our for meat till this happened. The one that is left has good legs so far.
    If I shouldn't leave it's food out free choice what should I be doing? It will be for the freezer if it's legs hold up.

9. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I would think it is with the strain you got. I raised 8 last year, and only had one with any leg problems(she was trying to ROOST, and hurt it that way), and they had food at all times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by