Would you eat this chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by City Chicken, Mar 1, 2013.

1. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    So, I processed a hen today that was bitten in the head and it was showing signs of infection, and being picked on severely... So
    Inside was this mess. Now, I have never processed a chicken besides Cornish cross.... Perhaps this is just the effect of an older hen with fat buildup on its intestines?
    Or could it have been eggs from worms? Does this look normal to you?
    I have her in the kitchen Ready to throw into the crock pot, but don't want to if this is a sign of illness.... She was full of a yellowish s clear liquid, which may have been water if I. Ruptured the stomach, but I don't think I did because there wasn't any food.

[​IMG]
    Here is her carcass ... I skinned it this time.[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

She just looks like an older not too fatty hen to me. I've opened some real old real fatty hens before that literally had their guts incased in fat. I've also opened sick birds with ascities which may have been the fluid that you mention if she was not laying or starting to become an internal layer. I'm not sure what the little white globular lumps are around the intestines, but they look like fat to me... if they felt squishy, did not move on their own power, and were homogeneous when sliced... I'd call them fat and make some stock. You can eat wild birds with rice breast, just well cook them.

3. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    She was laying occasional double Yolkers, but her shells had started to thin and i thought it was time to end it, especially with the attack. There were 3 large yolks inside plus many smaller ones. She had a lot of fat on her rump area tons and also it seems to be tying her intestines together, the bumps were weird though... And hard.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Compared to cornish x meaties, I find everything in an old layer thicker, tougher, stringier and lumpier. Some fat hens I've put to the pot had yellow fat pads so thick on their cushion that they were at least 2 inches thick. Their livers were also buttery yellow (fatty liver disease). Still don't know what the lumps are, but the meat itself looks good so... I'd still cook her. But if you're in doubt, throw it out.

5. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    Well she is having a hot tub with fourty cloves of garlic... Should be ready for lunch tomorrow. :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by