1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would you Eat this Chicken?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by hansonmcbride, Oct 24, 2014.

1. hansonmcbride

hansonmcbride New Egg

Oct 22, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    To all those experienced raising and/or butchering cornish cross chickens, this is an otherwise healthy looking chicken I butchered. But being a beginner, I am looking for confidence eating him. Does this weird sitting back on hocks posture look familiar to any of you as a leg issue or other "edible" ailment?

My first post was a lot longer with better details, but one of the moderators suggested I post here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...tting-back-on-hocks-safe-to-eat#post_14253644

Thanks.

2. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    This bird is 'down on her legs' a commom problem from fast growth. In my operation I get maybe one in 20. The proper thing is to process and eat. Likely you did nothing to cause this.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'm sure many of us have eaten birds in this condition from the grocery store. It's a hazard of raising CX. Not a thing wrong with the meat, she's just having muscle/skletal issues. It's not systematic at all.

4. hansonmcbride

hansonmcbride New Egg

Oct 22, 2014
    Oh, you guys are awesome. Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by