Would you ever leave...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Sequin, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    ...and go on vacation when your pet is due to deliver a baby(or a litter) in your absence? Just curious how others feel about this proposed situation. I am not referring to an emergency need to be out of town, I refer only to leaving voluntarily for vacation.

2. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    It all depends on who is going to be responsible for taking care of them ... is it going to be someone who is with her 24/7 while you are gone, or checking in several times a day.

3. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Years ago a family in town wanted to go to their second home about 60-80 miles inland via snowmachine for Thanksgiving like they usually did and asked me to watch their Icelandic Horses since I had two of my own. They said they didn't know if one of their mares was pg or not and if she was, she'd deliver that weekend...I went over and fed and watered twice a day, one one day, the mare wanted me to know something, the others were standing at the far end of the property near the fence. The young mare kept trying to tell me something and I thought she just wanted to eat more but I'd already fed them twice that day. When the family got home, they called and told me that the mare had delivered and the colt was born so that it was tangled in the fence...I couldn't see it cause the other horses were like a wall in front of where the colt was.

Boy did I feel bad after that mare tried so hard to tell me...so NO, if it had been one of mine, I would definately would NOT have gone and I would have put that mare in the barn with the top half of the dutch door open and checked constantly, had straw bedding thickly placed and spent my entire weekend in the barn. I shouldn't have listened when the owners told me they thought she was just fat. Normally I listen to animals, not people and that time I didn't and regret it.

We did make sure we knew the next year when the same mare was impregnated and knew her due date so we walked her down to my barn and she delivered there with my two geldings to keep her company in the corral. I left the top half of the dutch door open and monitored her and the colt, ensuring nothing happened that would cause another disaster. The mare and colt stayed a week and my geldings enjoyed their company, too:)

They did have their own twice as big stable area but I can't remember if the ducks, chickens and geese were in theirs or why they didn't want to use their own barn/stable.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    No. We won't be having any litters from any of the critters, but I still won't leave them. If and when I have to go to Florida, concerning my Dad, I will only go if my eldest stepdaughter comes and stays with the critters. The younger SD has proved to be too irresponsible. Even then I would probably take the dogs with me.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I would leave if it were an emergency (people come ahead of animals in my world) but not if it were optional. What if the mother has a difficult birth and needs intervention? If I were responsible for her being pregnant, I also have a responsibility to help her deliver safely.

6. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    no because the poor creature could have complications..
    our cat had kittens once, and one of them was breech..i had to help her get it out. if we wouldnt have been there, that huge kitten wouldve been stuck and she couldved died.
    [​IMG]

7. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I prefer not to, but our Jack Russell delivered in July as we were headed back home after my Parents 50th Anniversary. We had left her with a very capable friend that had raised puppies in the past. But no as a general rule I do not leave them.

8. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    There are some places you can board for such situations, so it depends on the critter. Some people in my folks neighborhood ran something like an equine mid-wife service. They would board pregnant mares and keep them for about 1 month after foal.

There are kennels that might be willing to provide such services- but it would probably be expensive.

9. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I dont think I would.

10. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    If it was an important event, I would leave. Otherwise, I'd probably opt to stay home. For example, a 50th anniversary is an important event, as is a birth or a death. JUst a plain 'ol vacation? Probably not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by