Would you feed your chickens this?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JustMandy, Aug 30, 2010.

1. JustMandy

JustMandy Songster

Mar 2, 2010
    I made corn muffins in new silicone pans tonight and when they were baking there was a strong chemical smell. The muffins tasted a little like the smell and I cut the tops of the muffins off for us to eat (the part that didn't touch the pan didn't taste bad).

Can I feed the bottoms to the chickens?

Can I feed them chili that is medium spicy?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Id do chili-Ive done chili I should say if the muffine smelled chemically I wouldnt IMO

3. emys

emys Songster

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Well the chili is just fine to feed them! They don't taste hot chillies.

The muffins...[​IMG]

4. patman75

patman75 Songster 9 Years

When in doubt....throw it out.

Or try to use it for raccoon bait. [​IMG]

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    if its something I dont want to eat I wont feed it to my animals. Maybe it would be fine but that just me I wont take the chance. For instance the other day I bought a bag of feed I didnt notice there was a small hole in it when I got ready to open it i heard peeping coming from inside the bag looked in the hole I now see and there are baby mice in it. Back to the store I go and get a replacement bag. The manager said you can have the other bag it will be ok for your chicks. No way. Then I read that the eggs that had salmonella the feed had been tainted with rat feces and thats where the salmonella came from.

6. JustMandy

JustMandy Songster

Mar 2, 2010
    Okay...okay...I'll toss them in the compost pile. Grr...I hate waste.

7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hi JustMandy, Yeah, I probably wouldn't feed them the muffins. Feed them the peppers though! Birds don't taste capsaicin (the "hot" substance in peppers).

8. tammye

tammye Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    remember what you feed your chickens you end up eating too! in eggs and meat!

9. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Songster

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Chickens can't taste pepper but the taste can leech into the eggs if it's really strong... so your decision! I, too, wouldn't feed the muffins...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: