Would you fix this, or no?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LTygress, Jan 20, 2014.

1. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    I have a pullet whose mother was probably deficient in vitamin B when the egg was laid. She hatched with ALL EIGHT toes curled sideways (including back toes).

She is now three months old and I am noticing her beak is also twisted. I didn't see a twist when she was younger but she did have a sort of 'gap' where her nose, beak, and comb all meet. That has filled in since when she was a chick, but there is a twist to the upper beak that is obvious now three months later. The biggest problem is a clicking sound when she preens or eats. But she still has PERFECT aim with her beak, pecking dead on to the smallest piece of food.

I don't know if I should bother trimming and filing her beak straight, or leave it alone. I'm worried that if I trim it, she'll start missing when she pecks at food, and essentially starve. But if I don't trim it, I am afraid it will continue to grow twisted until she can't close her mouth anymore.

What would YOU do?

2. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    [​IMG]

Here's a picture of what her beak looks like now.

3. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    From that angle, it doesn't look serious enough to be a concern. I'd leave it alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by