Would you get a sex link if......

chicmom

Dances with Chickens
14 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Strasburg Ohio
OK, I've got a Polish bantam roo, who hatched out white as a baby....He's changed colors and is sort of a red splash as an adult, but still has lots of white.

AND, he has bred with a cuckoo Polish gal.

I hatched three of their eggs......I got two little blonde chicks and a dark one. Do you think they might be sex link, and I've got two boys and a girl?

Just wondering.........(I might be totally incorrect....)

Sharon

No, b/c it sounds like the dad for sure is a mix of colors. He would need to carry only one color (2 sets of genes for the same color) for sexlinking to work.
smile.png
From what I know of genetics, I suppose it could work if you knew exactly what colors he was carrying and they were both recessive colors, like he had a recessive white and a recessive red gene, then crossed him with the cuckoo (but only if she is completely pure for cuckoo genes) then cuckoo chicks would be boys, and black chicks would be girls. But it sounds like he has a dominant white gene since you have 2 white chicks. If he had made sexlinked chicks, you would have only black chicks. The ones with a white spot would be the boys and would be cuckoo when they grew, the girls would be black with whatever color they got from their dad, red or white(silver) leakage.

I am by no means a genetics expert, someone please tell me if I'm wrong on this!

Thank you mama! I am now thoroughly confused!
lol.png
Just kidding! OK, so now I will just have to wait and see who's a boy and who's a girl.....Can't tell by color....Ahh, that would have been so easy! Thanks for helping me!

PJ really changed....He started out white, just like two of his chicks, and then he got a little splash here and there of a buff color, and a little black splash here and there, and now that he's fully mature, he has red on him as well.....He's a very interesting rooster. Just a bantam but he thinks he's HUGE! He even tried to square off with my turkey tom! LOL

Here's he is:

23665_pjsface.jpg

And the hen (She's got her back turned to the camera)

23665_letsplay.jpg

Quote:
I see what you mean, which I look at his back in that second pic. He is just so unique....I'm so lucky to have him......Thank you for the compliment!

Stormlady, thank you too!

Back
Top Bottom