Would you get rid of your rooster if he..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ging3rhoffman, Oct 11, 2009.

1. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Would you get rid of you rooster if he was a suprise attack breeder. He is a SLW and he has 13 hens to himself. He just grabs them by their heads real rough. He has torn some combs, come pretty close to their eyes and is just plain rough. He is wonderful other than that. Is that just normal or should i try and find him a new home. He is 30 weeks old now.

2. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Some roosters calm down when they get better at it, but if he's been doing this for more than a few weeks, I'd personally get rid of him.

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    sounds fairly normal...some folks like to whack at them with brooms...makes for great home videos but kinda a waste of time

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:I wouldn't get RID of him. I'd have him for dinner. But that's just me. [​IMG]

(i actually know nothing about rooster behavior; i just thought i'd chime in.)

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    It takes some time for roosters to learn.

6. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds pretty normal for such a youngster. He will almost certainly mellow out in time. [​IMG]

7. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm in the same boat. I gave him time to calm down, but he is 10 months old now, and the girls hate him. There is a lot of squawking and screaming. Most of the girls have bald spots on the back of their heads, and patches of missing feathers on their necks. I hate to do it, because he's good otherwise, but I can't bear to see the hens all torn up, so he's currently on craigslist. I'm thinking if someone has more hens, or bigger property for him to freerange on, maybe he'll be nicer.

8. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    Mine is just 6 mos. and he only holds on to one feather and done. Hen then shakes and done. He finds them treats, tells them all about it. Loves babys never bothered the little roosters and I gave them away at 8 week. They were bothering each other. I love him. He doen't really like other people in the run but me. Maybe because he's a silkie. I knew a Red that hated me wanted to kill me he would get up high and come after my face.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My roo doesn't even bite them most the time. Guess he has good balance.

If my pullets were getting bald spots and the roo wasn't getting any better with practice, I think I'd have to consider eating him for the sake of my girls.

10. Mrs.ChickChick

Mrs.ChickChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    North central Illinois
    Poor hens. I don't know much about roosters, but I would have a hard time watching my girls getting treated like that. Seems like he would make a good dinner. Find a rooster that treats his girls nicely. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by