1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Would you help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Monkey Mama, Dec 5, 2008.

1. The Monkey Mama

The Monkey Mama Songster

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    I have OEG bantams hatching yesterday and today. So far 6 of 11 have made it out of their shells and all the others are at least pipped, but one died in its shell yesterday after zipping the whole thing - just never kicked off the shell and died.

I have one guy who zipped about half his shell yesterday and got no farther. His beak and face are poking out of the zipped part, and he keeps peeping and struggling, but can't seem to zip any further.

Should I help him? Or should I just leave him be?

I'm scared he might not be "done" yet and I'll hurt him, but I also don't want him to die in his shell if I could do something to help.

Humidity has been good in the 'bator this time and the 6 live ones had no trouble getting out of their shells.

Thanks for any advice.

Kelly

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I help...my wife yells that I will kill it and then get angry with myself...right about half the time...the way I see it if most have hatched they need help but then are you just propogating an inferior gene? Curious what other folks do...I have been known to go ahead and crack open quail eggs on several occasions...lost some and saved some...one of those catch-22's

3. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

I would double check him and make sure he is not stuck to the shell somewhere, you can do it gently and see if he cheeps real loud when you pull his beak a little then he is prolly stuck. Help him. If you cannot find anywhere he is stuck. Check the humidity again. What is it at right now....it should be like 85%....if it is not, grab a stack of papertowels and get them as hot as you can and set in the bator so the humidity will rise. Keep an eye that he does not quit wiggling. as long as he is wiggling he is ok.

How long has he been like this?

4. The Monkey Mama

The Monkey Mama Songster

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    He's been like that for about 18 hours now. The humidity is definitely high, I have some hot wet wash cloths in there with them too just to bump it up extra since the breeder said these have trouble getting out of their shells sometimes.

Teach97, I'm not planning to breed these [they are just for pets actually], so I'm not too concerned about propagating a weak gene with this particular breed, as long as it will be healthy itself once it is out.

Thanks!

Kelly

5. Fudgie

Kelly I would take something and crack near the pip hole and break apart the shell there...do it gently and if you see blood, STOP, wrap up the egg with a warm papertowel to keep things moist. If no blood continue to "help him crack out. I use a straightpin but use the head part to do the cracking because I don't want to accidentally hurt/poke the duckling. Most ducklings, I have been told need help. My geese did not

6. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Help the lil fella.

7. The Monkey Mama

The Monkey Mama Songster

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    Hey, just wanted to post an update - I did help the little guy out and he is doing great! Seems just as healthy and vigorous as the others!

Thanks for the help and advice!

Kelly

8. Fudgie

YEAH YEAH Good job Kelly!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: