Would you hire a chicken sitter?

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2019
I love animals and want to start a pet business. I live in a very rural area where there's a good bit of farm land. Unfortunately, I don't have experience with horses, livestock, etc but I have extensive experience with dogs and cats and 6 years of experience with my few hens.

I'm considering starting a chicken sitting business (would also include dogs, cats and smaller farm animals) but I'm wondering if this is something anyone would pay for or want? Someone who could only care for their small animals? Appreciate any and all input and advice!

I know several livestock carers in these parts. You should know that the least qualified one is a skilled veterinary assistant. It is something that should not be taken lightly for multiple reasons.

Not to be a total downer, but have you considered what happens next when one of your clients expires? For whatever reason? What will you do when a feisty goat kicks in your front teeth?

All I am saying is consider it carefully and get your head around the cost of insurance, if you can get it...

If you do I wish you bon chance! The critters need all the help they can get.

Last edited:
I have hired house sitters to keep my cats company and take care of my chickens. I like someone to live at my house to care for them while I get to go on a 2-3 week vacation. It’s very hard to find someone knowledgeable to do this that doesn’t have pets of their own to care for.

I always pay someone to watch my animals when I go out of town. I prefer to have someone I know stay at the house. I generally pay $20/day plus eggs. It's usually a friend, and usually it's someone who has a dog that I might also watch if they go out of town. If it's someone who has to drive far out of their way or can do mornings only and a second person does evenings, I might adjust that figure up or down. I probably would only higher a stranger if they had good references (someone I know has used them) and I might want them to have some sort of insurance. I would be nervous giving a stranger the keys to my house. In case it helps you with your pricing or anything I have two dogs, two cats, and a flock of chickens and ducks. I do not require that the dogs go on leashed walks, just that they can go out in the yard for their business and maybe play a bit of fetch. I also ask that the garden be watered on occasion in summer.

I have hired house sitters to keep my cats company and take care of my chickens. I like someone to live at my house to care for them while I get to go on a 2-3 week vacation. It’s very hard to find someone knowledgeable to do this that doesn’t have pets of their own to care for.

I agree with all of this. My last sitter stayed at my house (which I much prefer), but I had to let him keep his own 2 dogs at my house also during that time so he didn't have to try and go back and forth to take care of my animals as well as his own as well as make it to work on time.

Thank y'all! I don't think I'd be able to stay at the person's home as I have my own pets to care for. I had planned on making 1-2 trips a day to visit/handle things depending on the owner's wishes. Is not being able to stay seen as a huge negative?

Back
Top Bottom