Would you let your toddler wander around a vet's office?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by lengel, Oct 28, 2009.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    I have four big dogs. We have no kids and two of our dogs have physical issues which make them hyper and/or cranky. We got one of the dogs as a three year old and have no idea of her history. Another we got as a puppy but she spent so much time either in surgery or in recovery when she was young that she is not socialized around young children.

A couple who just adopted a huge hyperactive adult lab showed up at the vet today while I was getting my dogs' nails clipped (a difficult process for them). I bring them in one at a time. They each wear a harness. This couple comes in, the father immediately loses control of the dog (as I am trying to leave with one dog to get the other from the truck), his dog slips its collar and I back my dog down the hall while the vet tech helps him get the dog back on lead. This finally happens and I hear the mother say to me, "You can come through. It's OK!" and I look beyond the father and dog to see her standing behind a toddler who is walking around the waiting area, well within the range of their own hyper dog who could knock the kid over at any moment. I looked at her and she picked up her child. I swapped dogs and they were still in the waiting room when my second dog's nails were finished. I hooked up my dog's lead to the clip on the counter so that I could pay and the next thing I know, my dog is barking frantically. I looked up to see this unattended toddler walking toward us, about five feet away. So I grabbed the lead up short and put my dog into a sit, turn around to see the mother holding her kid and hear, "Did that dog scare you?!"

Does this make sense to anyone? Personally I would never expect another dog to be family-oriented. I was taught that you always ask to so much as approach a dog. I just don't get this.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I feel your pain. My dogs are already stressed when they have to go to the vets office as it is without having loud kids, loose dogs or some stranger who wants to get up in their face and say "oh what a cute dog". [​IMG]

3. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    Everytime I walk my (very small) dog I get this

"Aww look at the puppy.. can I pat him??"

As much as it irks me that my 8year old dog is being called a puppy, it is nice to have people ask. Those kids who come up and start yelling and going 'OH LOOK A DOG WOW!'.. almost wish I could kick them.. very irritating.

In response to you though.. I think you have just seen what bad parenting is. Not only the fact that she didnt think to keep her child away from a strange dog, but letting a toddler wander unattended around a medical practice is plain insanity.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Dogs need to be on leashes because, well, they don't have a good enough grasp on human social rules.....neither do kids.
    I think I'm going to be more than tempted to put my toddlers on a leash, if I ever have any! [​IMG]

5. Terri

Terri Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    i have been working for vets since i was 15 years old and have seen it all. mom's bringing 4 kids and 2 dogs all of them, no training, then i have seen several moms that are totally in control of their whole pack (I love them).

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Sounds Like The Newest Addition To The Idiot Gene Pool.... [​IMG]

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    If You Think About It I Have To Feel Sorry For The Toddler, Cause With That For Parents The Kid Is Going To Have A Very Hard Time In Life....

8. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    Well, you can't blame the kid, especially a toddler...kids will be kids, and kids love animals. Parents need to be in control of their kid and dog owners need to be in control of their dog. And dogs and will be dogs...and the vet office is a place of high stress for dogs anyways, so even a usually well-behaved dog may lose his cool in that environment. If you fear your dog would bite a kid (or fight another dog), you should muzzle it. My vet has 2 cats lounging around on the counter loose too...also exciting for the dogs. Sometimes if the waiting room is extra full and busy, if you ask them they'll let hyper, excited or aggressive dogs wait in an empty exam room. I try to get a sitter for my kid when I have to take the dog to the vet and I make a point of only taking one dog at a time to cut down on hassle. You just never know what kind of situation you'll run into there.

9. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    Quote:Yeah, that about sums it up.
    Its a shame that two parents could not control one dog and one child.
    Strangers, strange dogs(possibly not socialized)doors to the parking lot aside
    DOGS PEE IN THERE ALL THE TIME. Sure its mopped, but would you want your toddler
    just randomly meandering about? I wish the new adopted dog luck with his
    common sense challenged family.

10. eekgads

eekgads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Central VA
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by