Would you like this TV show???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Dixiedoodle, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Am I the only one that longs for a tv program on small scale 'homesteading'? You know something like the old Victory Garden used to be... Something with small scale --backyard poultry how to's. How to plant /grow/prune fruit trees, raise honeybees, have dairy goats and make your own cheese... If I watch tv, it's usually the Food channel and then I am always trying to see beyond their house to their yards...I was thrilled once when Martha Stewart had her chickens on. I was soooo jealous when the Barefoot Contessa was out in her herb/cutting garden and the day she gave a bridal shower in her orchard. I drooled when the guy serves his guests in his little vineyard. Yes, I know these people have help, lots of hands and money but I still long for information.. I want to know how others do things. I long for pictures and stories of how others are doing things.... I found a little show on RFD that's called country living but I can't find it always-it must come on at different times/days. I also saw a program from CA that had these types of shows but I don't get that channel..... So, Is there anyone else that would like to see this type of program. OR know where I can find it??? Dixie

2. DitzzyChic

DitzzyChic Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    WV
    Just did a search & came up with a link to Patti Moreno who's trying to start a TV show on homesteading. It has a link to email her. Thought you may be interested in reading about her & her efferts.

http://www.themodernhomestead.com/news.php

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    theres a channel called rfdtv on dish an directtv.that has 1 or 2 homesteading shows on it.but i dont know if they are what youd like.

4. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I would definitely watch a show like that! And, I think that it would do very well given that the trend is toward organic and/or locally grown foods. Even though I live in a very populated area, more and more of my friends have been planning to and or actually doing what you are talking about. If I was still in the business (I used to be a video producer/director) I would love to MAKE a show like that!

What is the name of the California show?

5. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    I agree there's a need for a show that covers many topics, not just gardening or food and no celebrites would be a bonus. I would watch for sure. I think there is a lot more of that kind of programing in the UK. The BBC did a show on Jimmy Doherty, he started a rare breed pig farm from an old abandoned farm. I have his books and it looks like a show I'd like to see but I can't find it on DVD. I subcribe to the British edition of Country Living magazine. They always have lots of great articles on homesteading. Jen [​IMG]

6. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    I would like a show like that. Especially if they travelled around to different areas of the country/continent/world. The reason being, so many gardening things are different in different areas. Gardening in the deep south is like nowhere else in the country. I'm sure Canada is that way too, being the other temp extreme.

I'd love to see people taking their homegrown stuff and preserving it, and making cheese (I have this on my list of things to do before I die), and harvesting honey and all that good stuff!

7. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Me too! I can find some gardening shows on HGTV.. but the majority of time their focus is on gardens that are all hardscape and no GRASS at all.. And it always looks like someone is making a garden for an industrial building.

I do buy magazines, and that helps, but still I have to be picky. And I haven't seen ANYTHING like the Victory Garden (glad I have his books.. picked them up used somewhere), and certainly nothing that deals with small-scale farming.

I'll watch! Let me know the day and time!

Meg

8. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    The name of the show on the CA channel was CA Living. It had a goat dairy and the cheeses and about different breeds of chickens.. I have only seen it once and my daughters screamed "oh my goodness, mom is going to be in heaven". I am glad I am not the only one who loves this stuff.... I used to get the strangest looks from the book store clerks when I asked if they could order a book on beekeeping, keeping chickens, raising sheep, goats etc.... Now I just order from Abesbooks or the like..cheaper too....Dixie

9. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Hmmmm. I just did a search and only came up with this show. Somehow this one about "beach bodies" doesn't seem to be the same thing that you're talking about. [​IMG] Unless one is gaining their beach bodies by shoveling chicken poo. hee hee.
    http://www.californialivingtv.com/

Maybe it was not "CA" as in California but "CA" as in Canada????

10. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Hmm.. maybe it talks about Chickens getting Tans? Or teaches how to stay clean whilst tending to chickens in ones bathing suit? LOL! My hubby would love it if I was shoveling out the chicken coop in just a bikini!! ROTFL! I guess that's one way to convince him to let me increase the flock!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by