Would you pay....?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by eggbuster, Jul 3, 2011.

1. eggbuster

eggbuster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    $3.00 lb for a 100 lb box containing:

100% grass fed beef dry aged 21 days from 18 month black angus steer or would you think that $50.00 would be fair without the hamburger because a cow shouldn't have that much hamburger unless the meat was bad. I told 2 customers to get stuffed; politely of course. This was supposed to be a clear out of the stuff in the freezer. It is 4 months old.

I weigh all the steaks and roasts and then add hamburger to get 100 lbs.

steaks 2 per pkg. (cut 1" thick)

2………………………………………..t- bone
    1………………………………………..rib
    1………………………………………..porterhouse
    4………………………………………..round
    1……………………………………….wing
    2…………………………………….....sirloin
    1………………………………………..blade

Roasts: Aprox. 3-4 lbs each

1……………………………………….. short rib
    1…………………………………………sirloin tip
    1….……………………………………..blade
    1…………………………………………rump
    1………………………………………...eye of round

stew meat………………… 6 lbs ……
    hamburger ….aprox…. 67 lbs

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    No way nor would I eat it. Grass fed beef is too lean, no flavor no marbling. I have raised beef for 30 years and grain is needed and 18 months is too young as they have not developed the good restaurant quality taste at that age.

3. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Any meat for human consumption, even freshly processed and frozen, might be difficult to sell at any price to strangers if it's from a consumer's freezer. Too big a risk on quality and how it was handled. Most folks looking for quality beef or grassfed will secure their own fresh at near or less than $3 per pound, but, around here at least, grassfed is not that popular for the reasons already mentioned. It's somewhat standard for around 20% to be hamburger and stew meat.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I had a burger made from grass fed cows in San Francisco not too long ago. It was HORRIBLE. So I have to agree with what you said because my ONE experience with it was nasty.

5. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    Umm, I like the flavor of grass fed. Though I would not go out of my way for it. I have raised my own. Never paid for it but my own cost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by