would you please help me figure out(lawn mowing prices) ?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Omran, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Hello dear friends, first of all I would like to thank you for reading this.
    I am trying to get in mowing grass next spring , How much they charge you to cut your lawn and aprox how big your yard is?
    thank you all again.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I think the average locally is $20 an acre on most yards. Some you may set a flat rate each time additional if you have to clean up a lot prior to cutting tree limbs, pine cones, sweet gum balls, etc. Most of those will mess up the bagger on a finishing mower, so there is a surcharge. That's all I know, besides it's a hot job and great way to lose weight [​IMG] I did it all last summer. Weedeating is for the birds!!! Worst part hands down!

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Do just want the grass mowd? There are more things that they will charge extra for.

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Do just want the grass mowd? There are more things that they will charge extra for.

I do other things already for a while now, like fixing landscape beds and planting new shrubs and trimming trees, ( I do landscape services already) but I never mowed grass, and I am thinking of getting in that line to so I can generate more business.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I do other things already for a while now, like fixing landscape beds and planting new shrubs and trimming trees, ( I do landscape services already) but I never mowed grass, and I am thinking of getting in that line to so I can generate more business.

In which case I think you would base your price on what kind of mower you have! Are you gonna be pushing, or running behind a self-propelled, or riding along with a Lemonaid?? lol [​IMG]
    Joking about the lemonaid, I've mowed with a ride-on and it's not exactly "relaxing" and you'd get dust in your drink... even though it IS a lot faster and easier than the other options!

I think most of the time it's like $20 for a regular city yard (our is 3 "lots" and it's not uncommon size for my neighborhood) but you might get more from a higher-end neighborhood, and you might have to set a per-acre charge for some situations or someone will take advantage of your "$20 per yard" price and want you to mow their 8 acre yard [​IMG]

6. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Quote:You might find this site to be a great resource: http://www.lawnsite.com/

It's
    a cut-throat industry, especially in a bad economy. Good luck.

7. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    It will depend how close you are to a big city. In suburbs of atlanta, $40 for front yard of 1/2 acre plot, cut grass and take clipps, that's all

You should do well, Think of marketing to the realtors as well for house sales.

Large commercial accounts should be good and regular income.

Consider discounts for prepaying customers - say 3 months at a time and this should help your cash flow.

Look at landscaping ---- especially for bolstering business

ALSO, big in our area, people who will till up for small gardens.

Blessings on your enterprise, I'm praying it will be a great one...

8. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Well, that's what I do for a living. I have owned a lawn care business for 12 years. Of course there are many factors. Will you be doing this legally, as in paying income taxes, carrying liability insurance, and collecting sales tax for the state? In my depressed area the minimum price for full service lawn care, which includes trimming and blowing, is $30. A high school kid might do the same yard for $20, but he doesn't have the overhead. Imo, you need to charge $25/man hour as a bare minimum.

Realtors aren't a great way to go for someone just starting out. They will require you to have liability insurance, and worker's comp. They also expect the cheapest possible price, and are notoriously slow payers. I cut 75 yards for a land management company, and they haven't paid October's bill yet.

I am a member of Lawnsite.com, and as far as I'm concerned, it's not a very good resource, but certainly check it out. Napa is right about it being a cut throat business.

It's important to realize what it costs you per hour to work, and charge accordingly. A good truck,trailer,and equipment could easily set you back $60,000. Also, most people want someone who will take care of their leaves in the fall, and clean up in the spring. While many people will pay more for a professional job, most are looking for the best price.

One last thing, you cut grass, and mow a lawn. Good luck to you. If you have any more specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

9. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Omran, another Idea would be for you to compose those leaves and clippings and then sell the soil or use yourself for your gardens!

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Omran it totally depends on where you live. I would call around for quotes and see what all their quote entails. My mom pays $80 a month for yard service that includes weeding, pruning, trimming and replanted flowers and plants that need it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by