Would you please look at this picture of my chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LeftAtAlbuquerque, May 17, 2010.

1. LeftAtAlbuquerque

LeftAtAlbuquerque Out Of The Brooder

Dumpling is 7 to 8 weeks old. She is the only one of six girls who has this problem. The other five have beautiful feathers, but poor Dumpy is losing them on her back. I've been watching closely, and I have never seen any of the others picking on her. I have not seen her preening more than any of the others either, and I don't think she's pulling her feathers out. Here's what I've done so far............ 1) Dusted them all with food grade DE yesterday, and dusted the pine shavings in their bedding. 2) For the past 2 weeks I've been giving them scrambled eggs and cooked hamburger to add more protein to their chick food - hand feeding to them as they will be pets 3) I give them corn cobs, cabbage, etc because it's so entertaining for them and for us, too! 3) They are outside all day in their tractor until their run is finished, and I move the tractor twice a day so they will have shade and fresh grass 4) Free range in my back yard for about 2 hours each night while we are outside with them.

Do you think one of the others might be doing this to her when I don't see it happening? Could she be doing it to herself? Could it be some kind of disease? I checked for mites or lice, but I don't see anything. She's a black Jersey Giant, and it does look like she has dandruff, but I can't find any bugs. I did buy some Permethrin, but haven't used it yet, as I hated to use it on all 6 chicks if it's not a bug problem. I'm hoping that this picture might help someone tell me what's wrong. Thank you! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    no blood and it's dry and flaky, I don't think it's picking causing it.

3. LeftAtAlbuquerque

LeftAtAlbuquerque Out Of The Brooder

Thanks. Right, there is definitely no blood, and it's dry. But if it was due to bugs, wouldn't the other chicks show the same signs?

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    My boodies sometimes have bare patches like that it is normal around here.

5. AVizcaya

AVizcaya Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2009
    I am raising 70 dark cornish right now, 4-6 weeks old at the moment and about 10 of them look exactly like yours. I would be interested in what others have to say about it because I have now clue.

6. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    hmmmm, I would think mites, but if it were bugs than the others would probably have an issue, unless she doesn't snuggle with them??? Maybe it is an allergy to something. My chihuahua has this problem due to skin allergies. [​IMG]
    I would think it safe to put vaseline just on that area only (not on feathers) to keep it from drying out and it would also suffocate mites in the area if that's what it is. I don't like to use permethryn especially on chicks, it's pesticide.
    you can also soak her body in warm water (95) and cider vinegar (1tbs per gallon) for a while (don't leave her or she could drown), be sure to dry her completely with a hair dryer on low afterwards so she won't get chilled. I use a cat carrier and hold a dryer in the door so warm air circulates and they can move away if it's too hot near the dryer, be careful not to cook her (I turn it off a sec every so often to let some fresh air in, then continue) and don't leave it unattended! I do this with all my chickens when they get baths, it works great.
    Good luck!

Last edited: May 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by