Would you put this duck back with her mate and sister?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mominoz, Apr 28, 2016.

1. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    The latch got left open on my mini duck pen, and one of my female silkies got out into a larger night pen with a bunch of Runners. I found her the next day with all the feathers removed from her head, and it was red and bruised , but not bleeding. I brought her in, and bathed and put Neosporin on incase there was any tiny cuts and to stop and fly strike. It has been 3 days of her in kennel in garage. She hasn't eaten much, but is drinking and resting. It is kinda dark in there, so am wondering if I am putting her in hibernation ;0) I keep a light on in daytime...
    Wondering what to do next. I could put her in a little pen, and move some others around so she could be alone. Or should I put her back with her sister (who has been fussing at me since it happened?, odd behavior ) and mate? Not sure if they would welcome her or hurt her more..... with the bald red head now.... also not sure if gnats and flies would be an issue. Leaning towards isolating her, but perhaps her 'family' would feel safer

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You might try reuniting her with her flock mates and monitor the reintroduction - removing her if serious problems are evidenced. She will be happier with company if it is possible.

1 person likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would be concerned about flies - can you bring her two family members in to be with her for a few days?

4. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    She isn't bleeding...just head looks bruised. She is moving around more, eating a bit and drinking. But pretty much just 'setting' mode. She can stay in garage for a while... I may take her out today and put her in and see how they re-act. She isn't going to die, from my observations, just got battered....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by