1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would you rather have PURE Araucanas or Marans?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Dec 24, 2009.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    I know someone who works on a chicken farm and has a lot of different breeds that they have been working with for years now and they look to be pure. They have Black copper marans, Cuckoo Marans, Splash, blue, black, white and red Araucanas, Black Ameraucanas, Light Sussex, and i think a color of sussex that is different and rare.. blue maybe? Modern Game Bantams, Colored Dorkings and more! I was wanting to add a few to my flock and maybe even start a breeding program of my owne. But what would i get more people interested in? Marans or Araucanas? (those 2 breeds are my favorite there.) There Araucanas for sale just started to lay so i didnt get any eggs from them but i did manage to get some cuckoo maran eggs, Light Sussex eggs, and colored Dorking eggs. So what do you think?

2. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:Get both. [​IMG]

Are they true araucanas? Rumpless and tufted? Large fowl, or bantam? Bantam true araucanas are just about my favorite breed of all. I love the little buggers. But you will probably find a bigger market for Marans. So it really depends on what you want to get out of the birds!

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    If I HAD to choose one, it would be the Araucana

4. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    i am going to get ture arucanas , prople lage fowl , i have to say with Araucanas i have read that fertlty problems because of them haveing no tail , you peeps that breed Araucanas what do you have to say about breeding them ?

i would have to say the Araucans

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Araucanas are beautiful and so are the eggs.

Drawbacks are fertility and then the tufted gene problem.

6. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:Breeding araucanas is a pain in the petunias. But I like em anyway. [​IMG]

7. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:yes the tufted gen can cause probles if tufted is breed to tufted 25 % will die in the egg, if tufted is breed to un tufted they only have one tufted gen . when a tufted is breed to a tufted the chicks have to tufted gens which is why 25 % die in the egg. so if a tufted is breed to a un tufted about half of the chicks will have tufted and the othe half will be clean faced.

8. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:Breeding araucanas is a pain in the petunias. But I like em anyway. [​IMG]

ok so do you have any tips on breeding them , do you think it will be beter to start out with chicks or hatch eggs , the chicks i could get are buff and are not acted by the APA , i would be showing with 4-H so i would like to get a actpted colour

9. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:I personally breed tufted to tufted when I can. It results in a lower hatch rate, but you'll also have fewer non-tufted chicks to get rid of down the road.

If you have a chance to do it at a reasonable cost, by all means start with chicks. Buy rumpless tufted if you can. Make sure you get at least some tufted, if you can't get all of em tufted. Avoid tails if you can.

Have fun!

10. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:I personally breed tufted to tufted when I can. It results in a lower hatch rate, but you'll also have fewer non-tufted chicks to get rid of down the road.

If you have a chance to do it at a reasonable cost, by all means start with chicks. Buy rumpless tufted if you can. Make sure you get at least some tufted, if you can't get all of em tufted. Avoid tails if you can.

Have fun!

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by