Would you sacrifice your Geese or your other fowl?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by fowlsessed, Jan 24, 2013.

1. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    I posted this question on the other forums and was wondering what you Geese keepers think. Would you prefer to keep your Geese or your other fowl, like chickens, turkeys and ducks? How do they compare for you? And are your Geese tame enough for you to interact with?

2. yawnal

yawnal Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    I have raised my geese from babies. (Along with the ducks and chickens) They are nearing a year old and will still eat out of my hand. They are very vocal (loud) when I'm near too. The ducks are not as friendly. Never have been. Could be the breed. The chickens talk to me too but it is more like a cats purr when they are following me around the yard. I've got a few chickens that let me pet them too. The ducks have never been sociable with us. These are just my going ones on my little farm. I love the chickens and geese but undecided about the ducks.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I really like my geese the most of all my flock, I think it's the fact they seem the most intelligent of my flock of Ducks/chickens. and saying that I can interact with them better. They like to be near me when I am outside, although most of my ducks do too, and also the chickens follow me around when I'm outside. Maybe it's their size plus their endearing personalities that make me choose them first. I hope i never have to make a choice though I really love them all.

4. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Thanks for posting.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If I could only keep one, I would keep the geese. But I really like my turkeys and my ducks, so I am glad I don't have to choose.

6. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    I would have a really hard time deciding between my ducks and geese. The chickens would go before either of them.

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'd absolutely keep the geese over the other fowl.

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I love all of my fowl but if I could only keep one species then it would definitely be the geese.

9. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    I agree with the other posters. I love my ducks, but they do not hold a candle to my geese.

10. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    I had ducks, peafowl and geese. My husband said I needed to get rid of the ducks just kept bugging me to the point I finally sold all the ducks. Then he started in on the peafowl and just kept ridding me until I sold all of them. I choose to keep the sebbies and he has been ragging about the horses for over a year now. So I put them up for sale and did not sell a one. So will try again this year. He said he is tired of taking care of animals.....

So my choice were the geese. But I miss my call ducks and the peacocks.

Talking about horses our mini mare got a bit of collic a few days back and had my husband walk and run her around. Had him do it a second time and he brought Lad y up to the house in the garage and said see what you think. He told me she would not eat. I got out some of the feed we give the large horses and she ate ever bite of it and bit my hand from trying to get it all.
    Any way when I was done looking her over turned to come into the house and guess who followed me into the mud room? YES, Lady...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by