1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

would you set this found egg?update**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dinahmoe, Jan 24, 2012.

1. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    hi all,
    well ,the kids and i went to the baseball park.there is a pond with a trail all the way around.people are allowed to fish in the pond also.it is not a wildlife park.its a sports park.
    people always dump their easter ducks there becuase there are about 10-15 white pekins,even crested.
    .also 1 mallard drake and 2 hens and 1 cayuga drake.
    anyway as we were walking around the trail i saw an egg on the bank.no nest,just laying flat on the grass where the ducks sun.it is clean for the most part and does not smell(did that first).looked to be clear when i held it up to the sun.it has not been over 60 here.
    would you set it and see?
    since i already have a bator and all.

i do not have any other ducks , chickens only--disease possibilities?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. bexnd

bexnd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2012
    give it a go if it's deseased the egg will go bad. do all the ducks look healthy?? the worst that could happen is it wont hatch

3. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    they "look" healthy.we go there frequently but usually just go by the ducks to the baseball fields.i imagine there are alot of eggs in the spring and summer.the parks service must pick them up because the only babies i have ever seen were the canadian geese.the ducks were all swimming and quaking,following us around the pond.

4. bexnd

bexnd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2012
    its possible they clear them some places see them as pests where as the geese will migrate. It is also poss that they just arent good sitters mine arent they are pekin X. . I would give it a go likelyhood is it prob wont hatch due to time of yr but if it does then bonus u gained a lucky ducky :)

5. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    If you do set it keep us posted. I'd give it a go though!

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I'd go for it as well.

7. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    go for it...a diseased egg simply goes bad inside, not outside.

Worst case it does nothing....set it and candle every couple days to see if there is any change. Should see some veins in a week.

Our pond ducks (pekins & rouens) lay eggs in nest all over the place. The pekins don;t even bother with a nest...they just drop eggs where ever they happen to be standing. I've seen the pond area look like an Easter egg hunt there were so many orphaned eggs laying around.

8. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    ok,it goes in tomorrow.
    it should be a duck egg because it was the size of a huge chicken egg.figured geese would be bigger.the ducks vary in numbers due to people but predators are a possibility.there were some young ones there this summer,still had down on their necks. [​IMG]
    the cayuga was there too-i want him. [​IMG]

they don't seemed to be harrassed because they are all very friendly but i am sure they are fed anything and kids chase them about sometimes.

there were about 30 geese there today so the ball park has to keep them under control i would think.watching them i noticed they were in several little "gangs".there has been one there for 2 years now .it has a deformed wing.this summer there were 2 sets of babies,around8-10 each.they are a little intimidating when you have 10-15 geese run up to you at once.
    when you offer no food,they hiss and walk off.

i will keep you posted on the egg [​IMG]

9. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    "inside not outside"-good to know

thats what made me think that someone has to be picking these eggs up.i never noticed them this summer and don't know if they lay this time of year that frequently.if the eggs developes,i got some reading to do.
    28 days?

10. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Yep...if its typical duck...

Diseases are not born in a bird, they are accuired at some point during its life. A diseased egg simply won;t hatch. Its usually from exposure to some form of bacteria that takes over the yoke and kills the embryo before it even starts to grow. It gets dark inside, cloudy and the shadow is so thick that you cannot see thru it when you candle. No veins, just a dark blob. Thats a diseased egg.

When hatching a found egg, its a guess at best as to the due date....assume that its todays egg and go from there.

Good Luck with it...I have a "found egg" duck in my indoor pen right now...the Hairy Beast aka Bug. Chunky little rouen wanna be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by