Would You Show These Bantams?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NC29mom, Sep 10, 2010.

1. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Are these show worthy?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

**There are 2 roosters and 9 hens

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Now I don't know anything about Japanese bantams, BUT...I can tell you that in the last pic, don't use the one on the left, in fact, I wouldn't even use him for breeding purposes based on his comb. The male on the right has a nicer comb with fairly even points, and can improve upon the combs of the females. Beyond that, I wouldn't presume to tell you anything about your birds show worthiness, because like I said, I know nothing of Japanese.

3. NC29mom

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Quote:Yes, I agree. Tiger is the one with the perfect pointed comb. He was the one I was thinking about showing. And, I didn't want him to go alone, so I was going to pick out the best looking hen. Yes, he is MUCH better looking. Not only the comb, but the coloring on his feathers is almost perfect, unlike the other roo.

Maybe I will just go and observe the shows this year.....

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I don't have japs but I do know you want a vertical tail. a tail that goes over is called a squirrel tail and is a big fault. I'm sure somebody more experienced will come along soon

5. NC29mom

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Quote:Does mine have a squirrel tail? The one with the really good comb? I'll have to get some better close ups of the rooster

6. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    To show you need to condition your birds.
    This is done by separating them in their our individual pens, & put them on a good diet so they can feather out nicely.

You can if it's easier separate the roosters from the hens, the roos need to be 1 to a pen, they will try to breed ea other or pick each other.

They look roughed up in the pics.

If you show them in their present condition, a judge might DQ them/ disqualify them.
    or write the comment on their show card Bad feather condition/ Condition.

I have seen this many times at poultry shows.

7. NC29mom

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    I think I will just go to a few shows this season and see what I can learn from other exhibitors and breeders. I know I will love looking at all the different breeds. Then, maybe by next season, I will be better prepared.

Thanks everybody. Sounds like preparing the birds for show takes A LOT MORE time and effort than I anticipated. Sounds extremely time consuming. I'll try next year....

8. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    they look to be pet quality to me, my hatchery black tail white japanese look almost identicle to these. They appear to be squirrle tailed (as someone else suggested, which is when the tail goes over 90*) which i beleave is a disqualification, or at least a major fault.

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Their tails are fine. Squirrel tail is a D/Q in most breeds but in Japanese Bantams the tail should be carried "forward of the perpendicular as to almost touch back of head."
    The comb onn the one male leaves a lot to be desired but that is a relatively small point cut.
    All that said the answer to the question is, no I would not show them. Their legs are much too long. The shank from hock to foot should be about 3/4 of an inch. If you can see under a Japanese Bantam the legs are too long. Viewed from the side they should appear ass if they don't have legs.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  10. chickieboy

chickieboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    broken bow
    you might try some of the hen that are short legged , and look for any that have a fan tail if you don t know what i talking about look up fan tail pigeon and look at their tail .and beside it doesn t hurt to show a chicken r 2 . after the judging over the judge will be glad to explain what was wrong with your birds r u need to improve one , how else are u gonna learn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by