Would you take a look at my geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by r4eboxer, Nov 7, 2011.

1. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    I purchased what I was told were Pilgrims and I do indeed think they are. Toulouse look so much like pilgrims so I want to be sure what they are. Here they are. Is there anyway to tell if they are related other than hatching some eggs out to see if I get knobbed bills?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm not Pete, (you might want to private message pete [PM]) but I don't think there is a way to really tell how closely related the geese are just by looking at them. They look good to me. Here is a pic of my female Pilgrim who I got from a hatchery.

[​IMG]

3. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    scratch'n'peck :

I'm not Pete, (you might want to private message pete [PM]) but I don't think there is a way to really tell how closely related the geese are just by looking at them. They look good to me. Here is a pic of my female Pilgrim who I got from a hatchery.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/17873_lucy.jpg

She is gorgeous and looks just like one of my females. I'm pretty sure mine are pilgrims. I am going to edit the op and pm pete. Thanks​

4. grasspack

grasspack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Deering NH
    They look like pilgrims to me. Do the males have blue eyes? I have 5 and they are wonderful creatures. I love them. Enjoy yours.

5. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

Im pretty certain they are Pilgrims and a very nice group at that.

The white markings on the face of the females gives away the fact they have a single Dilution gene, whereas the white males have a double dose. Females tend to be a slightly lighter grey colour than Toulouse (which lack a dilution gene)and also smaller.

Unfortunately its difficult to prove if they're related or not.

Hope that helps [​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

6. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Quote:Yes they have the most amazing blue eyes. I have been enjoying them so much already!
    Thanks

7. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Quote:Thanks Pete, I wish I had the knowledge you have about water foul. I was looking at your Holderrad toulouse and he is just gorgeous. After seeing your gander I went on Holderrads (sp) site. I've got my eye on a few show quality buy I need to expand my pond if I am going to get them. Hubby said this summer he wants to add another acre pond to make it sort of a figure 8 if you can picture that. There will be a little island in the cross of the 8. Can't wait to add more waterfoul.

8. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi. Thank you for your kind comments which are appreciated. Believe me I too have much to learn and had a recent steep learning curve with our Sebastopols. I thought ours were good but I've got much more work to do to get better feathering. Yes our Dewlap male is our pride and joy and wish I could get more from Holderread. I'm sure you wud love them. Your plan for an 8 shaped pond and island sound great. I wish you best of luck with your project. Pete [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by