1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Would you tell my family what gender I am?" the little white silkie said.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by allhisblessings, Sep 30, 2013.

1. allhisblessings

allhisblessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2013
    Tallahassee, FL
    Hi! My name is Qi-Qi (pronounced chee-chee) and I am a silkie. My family got me from a feed store on a whim to make the kiddos feel better about having to give away some silly ol' roosters. I'm 26 weeks old. They think I'm cute and take good care of me but they are seriously clueless about silkie gender. I'd tell them what I am, but they don't seem to understand my language. Could you help them out?

Thanks,
    Qi-Qi

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    While silkie are extremly hard to sex I am leaning towards pullet

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree. But many times you won't know for sure until they either crow or lay an egg.

4. reckless

reckless Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    Leaning towards pullet as well. :>

5. allhisblessings

Jan 23, 2013
    Tallahassee, FL
    Qi-Qi hasn't crowed or produced an egg yet. :-\ I have been thinking pullet lately too...

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    For now, I'm going to say pullet. She doesn't seem to have too tall of a stance, the crest doesn't look too slicked back and pointy, and the comb isn't too large. Still, post pictures in a few weeks for another opinion--Silkies are very difficult to sex!

7. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm thinking pullet.... but Silkies are SUPER difficult to sex. My cock looked like a pullet at 26 weeks.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The best thing to do, (like the other posters said) is to wait for an eggs or for it to crow. [​IMG]

8. allhisblessings

Jan 23, 2013
    Tallahassee, FL
    Oh wow he really did look different at 26 weeks! How long was it before you knew? When did he crow?

9. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I knew for sure around 5/6 months. He was a late bloomer. [​IMG] He crowed at 5 months.

10. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

sometimes other breed hens crow... i m not sure on silkies ,but i'd say the best way is eegg, as hens can also crrow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by