Would you worm a sick hen???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gritsar, Oct 21, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Earlier I posted about a hen that's acting a bit off:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=259037

She's still acting strange. Won't eat. Did take a few bites of applesauce.
    She just had a runny, mustard colored stool that according to the chickenkeeper's guide to poo is either a cecal stool or worms.

The flock was last wormed in November of 2008 with valbazen. I also have (generic) ivermectin pour on available.

Should I worm her when she is definitely run down?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    She could well be run down BECAUSE of the worms. I think you should worm her.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thank you sooooooo much! Should I use the valbazen (albendazole) again or the ivermectin pour on?

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Personally I would use ivermectin.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I'm sorry, I forgot to ask this question. Can you tell me the dose for ivermectin pour on? Is it 1/4 cc per five pounds of body weight?

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I want to say it's .5cc. Shoot... I have the dosing at home but I won't be back for another hour.

7. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    If she is run down, it could be because of worms or something else. I would have a fecal done, about $15 at vet to see if there are worms, otherwise you are just taxing her system. I'd definitely give her a probiotic mash...do a search authored by glenda h., but mixture is usually unsweetened yogurt, buttermilk and chicken crumbles.

8. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Mustard colored poop can also be advanced coccidiosis. A round of Corid might be an order. If you can do it, a fecal would probably be very helpful.

9. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I think I'd start with the valbazen then follow up in 10 days with the Ivermectin. The Ivermectin is pretty strong (never used valbazen, maybe it is too?) and if she has a heavy load and they all die at once it can cause her problems. Better to use a milder wormer for the first go and follow up with the big guns. Good luck with her!!

10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

If you do opt for the lab testing: do not ask for a fecal, ask for a "fecal egg count." They are different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by